Kitten Litter Problems

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Hope your all well.

I have a 5 year old cat black and white. I also have a Russian blue that’s just over 5 months. They didn’t get on so well at the start with adult cat constantly hissing and staring but they get on really well now as older cat doesn’t get bothered by her. No more hissing only when little kitty get on cat’s nerves but this doesn’t bother her too much. She’s never been scared of older cat and even though older cat didn’t get on so well with her the older cat has always been gentle especially when playing.

As they didn’t get on so well I used to keep kitty in a safe room where she started to wee on the bed I think this was as she felt trapped. So once they got along I gave her access to the whole house. This stopped her from weeing on the bed in the safe room. After that there were no incidents.

Just recently she has pooped on my sofa and behind a sofa in the other room also. She has never pooped outside the litter tray before. After the poop incident she now also wees in plastic bags, boxes, laundry basket and beds.

I make sure to clean with an enzyme cleaner. I have 4 litter open trays in the house. I use catsan non clumping litter which she seems fine with. I’ve bought and replaced the duvets she has weed on also. Nothing seems to resolve the issue. Whilst she’s weeing outside the litter tray she still uses the litter tray daily too.

Someone recommended to get her neutered which I wanted to do anyway. However the vets said she was too small at 4 months. So I’ve now been able to get her in for April 14th which is earliest. I hope this will resolve issue. But I wonder what do people do who don’t get their cats neutered? Do they have litter issues?

I’ve also taken her to vets they say she seems fine. They just keep recommending me to use feliway which I told them I already use. They seem to recommend feliway for everything as they said the same thing when my cats weren’t getting along.

I apologise for it being so long but I’m just so frustrated I can’t seem to fix the issue.

I look forward to your advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven’t come across cat attract litter I don’t think they sell it in the UK.

The other vets are quite far. My local vet is Vets4Pets in the UK.

She isn’t constipated I’ve watched her use the litter tray. I’m mixing wet and dry food together and feeding her that.

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I could try that. Thanks

Any recommendations on what litters to try?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Different textures, unscented, even pellet, try putting a pee'd on item in a litter box, try an empty box ...

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Different textures, unscented, even pellet, try putting a pee'd on item in a litter box, try an empty box ...
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll give it a go.

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone

I thought I’d give you a little update.

Till a couple of days ago she hasn’t had any other incidents as she has been pooing and weeing in the litter tray.

However yesterday she weed in my weekend bag that was opened.

Today she’s weed on a plastic pram cover my sister wasn’t too happy at least it was easy to clean.

I have also tried giving her a treat every time I see her use the litter tray.

I’ve never heard of the litter kwitter. Sounds great not sure how she’ll respond to it. Anybody used it before? Any tips? Not sure it will still stop her from weeing on bags though?

Thanks again everyone for the advice :)

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't used the litter kwitter, but this kind of behavior in an otherwise healthy cat can be indicative of frustrated territorial marking.

Have you had a chance to try any calming products?

Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat
The only calming thing I’ve tried is feliway. I’ll try and look into other calming products.

She seems to only now wee on or in anything plastic, which she’s only recently done as I’ve tried to keep her away from things like that. Also I’m hoping having her spayed will stop the behaviour.

I’m also keeping her away from previous spots and keeping any eye on her. Maybe with age it will also stop?

I’ll make sure to keep you all updated hopefully help someone with similar problem.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is a Russian Blue and you got her from a breeder, have you tried contacting your cat's breeder and asking them for help? They might have suggestions.

I agree that spaying her is a good thing to do. At her age she may be coming into heat already.

I wonder what do people do who don’t get their cats neutered? Do they have litter issues?
Yes, cats that are not spayed or neutered are quite likely to spray or pee on things.

Last edited:

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is a Russian Blue and you got her from a breeder, have you tried contacting your cat's breeder and asking them for help? They might have suggestions.

I agree that spaying her is a good thing to do. At her age she may be coming into heat already.

Yes, cats that are not spayed and neutered are quite likely to spray or pee on things.
I’ll message the breeder to see if they have any tips. Thanks for the advice :)

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Cat Attract Litter for my little guy and it worked great. He did not like my corn litter at first. If you can get stuff shipped from Amazon you need to hop on there. They also make cat attracting litter powder you can add to your own litter. I agree with others on trying different types of litters and trying that.

To me it sounds like it's a mix of issues. It sounds like your kitten is afraid of using the box. I would stay away from covered boxes as it's just a trap for him to get caught in. Where are your litter boxes located? Are they trapable? In the corner, wedged between stuff, behind stuff, only one way out, etc. All of these will make the kitten feel unsafe and he won't want to get in the box. He's pooping in odd places which makes me think behavioral issues.

One thing you can do if you think it's the litter. Put him in the bathroom with only a litter box, take all the rugs out so he doesn't use those to go to the bathroom.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's also possible that your kit has developed a UTI since she saw the vet. Did they test for one or just feliway?

I think another vet might be worth the drive.

With a useless vet you might as well be throwing your money in the yard and not stressing the cat out by putting her in the box.

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got Cat Attract Litter for my little guy and it worked great. He did not like my corn litter at first. If you can get stuff shipped from Amazon you need to hop on there. They also make cat attracting litter powder you can add to your own litter. I agree with others on trying different types of litters and trying that.

To me it sounds like it's a mix of issues. It sounds like your kitten is afraid of using the box. I would stay away from covered boxes as it's just a trap for him to get caught in. Where are your litter boxes located? Are they trapable? In the corner, wedged between stuff, behind stuff, only one way out, etc. All of these will make the kitten feel unsafe and he won't want to get in the box. He's pooping in odd places which makes me think behavioral issues.

One thing you can do if you think it's the litter. Put him in the bathroom with only a litter box, take all the rugs out so he doesn't use those to go to the bathroom.

Yeah a lot of people have recommended using cat attract. I’ll see if I can order of amazon. Hopefully using it short term can encourage her to not use anywhere else. I just wished they sold in the UK would be so much easier.

I have four open litter boxes. I have one in the hall way downstairs. One in the hallway upstairs. One in my bathroom and one in my bedroom. She seems to mainly use the one in the bathroom and downstair hall way. She uses the litter tray fine it’s seems to be more issues with plastic bags/cover and boxes. And it’s not everyday either maybe couple times a week etc.

I’ve got a few different litters in the tray at the moment she keeps using the catsan one she’s used too.

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's also possible that your kit has developed a UTI since she saw the vet. Did they test for one or just feliway?

I think another vet might be worth the drive.

With a useless vet you might as well be throwing your money in the yard and not stressing the cat out by putting her in the box.
I was thinking I might have to take her back and get her tested.

They’ve never really tested her they just seem to say she’s fine and recommend feliway.

When she was nearly 4 months she hurt her leg. They gave her metcam injection I think that’s what it was called and told me to give her drops at home.

I noticed she was struggling to go toilet more weeing as she would go to litter tray every 10 mins and sit there for good 5 mins to wee but nothing would happen. She then had a incident on my bed she did a really small wee. So I took her vets they said she just seem clogged up and to give salmon etc and carry on with medicine as leg was slight still inflamed.

But I decided to stop medicine as I had a feeling it was that. And she was back to normal after a few days.

Since then she used tray fine just accident here and there as I kept her confined in a safe room as both cats weren’t getting along.