Kitten Litter Box Issues

Beachbum123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a kitten that’s 3 months old. I’ve had him for almost a month. Since I’ve gotten him, he doesn’t consistently use the litter box. Sometimes he uses it, sometimes he doesn’t. I’ve given him a bigger box, tried different kinds of litter, and I’ve tried a litter attractant. Nothing seems to help at all. I’m afraid to let him wander around with my adult cat, because he goes to the bathroom wherever he wants, usually on the couches. Sometimes when he does have the run of the house, he will go and do his business in a litter box, but not always, it’s very inconsistent. He went to the vet about a week and a half ago and was given a clean bill of health. Any suggestions on what to do to get him to consistently use the box?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make sure the boxes are easy for him to get into. If the sides are to tall, and he has to climb to get in, he likely won't do that if he really has to go and will potty somewhere else. Also try rewarding him with praise and maybe a treat when he does use the litter box.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And with two cats, you want a minimum of three boxes, spread well apart. Sometimes that is all it takes.