Kitten licking chair

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.

One of my kittens likes to lick our dining table chairs, which are made of fabric.

I've tended to ignore it up to now but she spent a lot of time doing it today. And I read it could indicate some problems.

Any advice?

Thanks,

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are they new chairs? Is that the only thing she licks? You could try cleaning the fabric on the chairs to see if that would stop her. If it does, problem solved. It will mean that there is something in the fabric that she liked.

If she is trying to suckle the chair fabric, that is a bit different, and I would offer her something else to suckle. A lot of kittens like to suckle things, most grow out of it. Some don't. But, it doesn't necessarily mean it will become an issue.

How old is this kitten, anyway?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

egyptianmau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Are they new chairs? Is that the only thing she licks? You could try cleaning the fabric on the chairs to see if that would stop her. If it does, problem solved. It will mean that there is something in the fabric that she liked.

If she is trying to suckle the chair fabric, that is a bit different, and I would offer her something else to suckle. A lot of kittens like to suckle things, most grow out of it. Some don't. But, it doesn't necessarily mean it will become an issue.

How old is this kitten, anyway?
Hi.

Thanks for replying.

She is more than 3 months old.

The chairs are not new and it's pretty much the only thing she licks persistently. Sometimes she licks our hands or trousers but it's not persistent.

No she doesn't suckle on them. She started suckling once on her brother and I tried to seperate them. But since then she's been fine.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy of 11 years has always done this. It's not just chairs either, anything that has fabric and even the leather sofa he will lick.
It's annoying because it felts and wrecks some fabrics and leaves a wet spot but other than that it is harmless.

I think it is just a comforting mechanism.