Kitten keeps meowing endlessly

Alexus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello :)

As a bit of a backstory: at the end of November I got Lotor (at 12 weeks) and he was a single cat for about three months. 5 weeks ago I got another cat. They get along well and play together etc. (they are only 6 weeks apart in age). They are both males.

Now here's my problem: around two weeks after the second cat moved in, Lotor started meowing SO MUCH. He can't keep quiet for 5 minutes (except when he sleeps).

He wasn't this talkative before. And nothing has changed really (besides another cat ya know). I still play with him/them. Feeding times are the same. Cuddles are available whenever he seeks them. I honestly don't know what to do. I tried to ignore it, but he just won't stop. It's not that loud tbh, but I am really scared my neighbours will sooner or later complain to my landlord :(
And I gotta be honest that it IS super annoying after a while.

Anybody have similar experiences and know what to do? :cringe:
Is it maybe just a phase I need to wait out?

Last edited:

Smokey1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the second cat a female? Cats tend to meow as a mating call I believe, could be wrong

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, they are both males. And they are both neutered as well.

Smokey1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't say definitely but they must be calling out for something. Have you tried to separate them and keeping the meower closer to you? He must be stressed about something. All the cats around me have never meowed without wanting to tell me something.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If these guys aren't neutered your going to be in for some first class top of the decibels singing as they start howling about being in heat. It was the British that named female cats queens. They named them that because they reminded people of the prostitutes that would stand on the street corners and yell out that they were looking for customers. Yes, their voices change and they get very loud and deep throated almost like moaning.

Alexus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If these guys aren't neutered your going to be in for some first class top of the decibels singing as they start howling about being in heat. It was the British that named female cats queens. They named them that because they reminded people of the prostitutes that would stand on the street corners and yell out that they were looking for customers. Yes, their voices change and they get very loud and deep throated almost like moaning.
They are both male and neutered. So that's not the trouble. My best guess is that Lotor just wants attention. >.>

Alexus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't say definitely but they must be calling out for something. Have you tried to separate them and keeping the meower closer to you? He must be stressed about something. All the cats around me have never meowed without wanting to tell me something.
He really doesn't seem stressed. He meows also when he's flopped onto his back, his usual petting posture/position.

When I separate them, Lotor keeps on meowing. And Shiro (the second cat) goes to the door that separates them and starts scratching like he misses him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might be something you would want checked out by a vet. I had a cat that had an infection and with the high temperature, he meowed constantly too. if he has a clean bill of health then it is behavioral.
5 weeks is not long in cat time, he may be very well stressed out still from all the changes in his routine. It takes several months for cats to be comfortable with change. Get a kickeroo on Amazon, a long cat toy that is irresistible to cats and he can bunny kick out his frustrations. He may be hungry with all the new interactions, make sure he is fed well and often. As much as he wants and the other cat isn't stealing his share. Cats DO NOT meow to each other except for mamas calling their babies, yowling is usually a being in heat thing. He is meowing to you, something is wrong. Enough litterboxes, enough places to find sanctuary from unwanted attention? Get them to play together more and see if that helps. Try not to yell at him, because something IS wrong and he is trying to tell you. I know how hard that is. He is unsure of himself and maybe even scared. all of us together may be able to figure this out, after all, there is a world full of experience here!

Alexus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's been to the vet on February 28th for his checkup before being neutered. Everything was fine. He eats well, he plays well, he drinks a good amount.

I will increase the amount of playtime for a while. Maybe I have underestimated how much to increase his playtime the bigger he gets?

He has a kicking toy, but he doesn't use it. When they are both outside on the balcony having a chill, he's quiet. Same goes when they ply. He doesn't meow towards Shiro (only hisses when the playing gets too rough).

I'm feeding them 3-4 times a day depending how warm it is to not have the wet food spoil, so they are getting smaller portions more often. So I don't think the food if the problem. He also has places he can withdraw to for some distance, yeah.

5 weeks really isn't a long time after all. Maybe he'll come around and accept that it's fine to share the attention he had for himself at the start.