Kitten Keeps Escaping? Help!

Eira F

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little male kitten is always on the run. I am not really sure how old he is, but the vet said he's 3 months or more. Anyways, he doesn't stand at the door like most of the cats I've read about. He usually forgets there IS a way to escape until he occasionally stumbles upon an open door/window. My family and I are sick of running out everytime he escapes, and living in a closed warm house where we have to close all openings or our cat will run off. We sometimes also have to crate him or else he'll be out of the country in no time. I want him to become a strict indoor cat(that'd be so much easier) but how do I inculcate indoor habits in him? Please help, I don't want him running off, there are enough stray dogs and speeding vehicles here. :(

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to let my cat be an inside/outside cat. Day outside / night inside. This was between 3 months and 9 month old, give or take. I used to have trouble the older she got bringing her inside at night. At first I called, she came, I picked her up, we went inside. Then it became a game and I'd have to catch her and then it was food bribes and treats. Then one night at about 6 months she refused and ran off. I decided to leave her out, hunger the cold and all the scary things at night had her back at about 11pm rowling desperately to come in. She jumped straight into my arms. This happened 3 times before I made her permanently inside.
The point is it may take a night outside for interest turns into fear. Also don't chase him around as he may think it's a fun game.
Probably not what you want to hear but that was my experience.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Is your kitten neutered? If not he may be acting on instinct to mate. If not neutered- it will help if you do get him fixed.

Do you have screens on your windows and doors which will allow you to have them open? They make pet proof screens that's harder to tear with claws.

Otherwise make inside more fun than outside. Show him that it's no fun outside- set up automatic sensor sprinklers or automatic noise makers. Food and treats inside only- bribing will only make him think going outside will mean treats. Play lots with lots of climbing areas for him.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are curious. They're going to want to explore. I have three cats that have never lived a day in their lives outside and they'll still want to go out if there's a door open for more than five seconds. Only one of them will even hesitate and she's a very nervous cat. If you want windows and doors open then you need screens and even then I'd keep an eye on the cat because screens aren't all that durable.

I also don't think you should be crating him. Cats need their territory to feel secure and putting him in a small space that he can't get out of isn't going to be relaxing for him. You don't want to end up with an insecure cat, trust me. You want to avoid making the crate some horrible thing or he'll end up hating it and you'll have problems later on if you need to take him somewhere such as the vet.

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think all the suggestions so far are great. What about harness/leash training him and allowing him some time outdoors monitored by you? Sounds like you guys are used to leaving doors and windows wide open with no screens. I think it would be incredibly difficult if not impossible to keep a cat inside if that is the case.