Kitten Keeps Biting Me, Licking, + Leash Training

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

i have a 3 month old kitten that keeps biting me. he's not aggressive, it's more like he's trying to play. however, he does this even when i'm not playing with him, he comes over, roll onto his back, take my hand and tries to bite. I make sure to pull away and say "ow" loudly, and ignore him for a few minutes but he doesn't seem to be getting it because there's no loss of play? (we weren't playing to begin with) any ideas on what to do?

also, when he's sleepy, he keeps trying to lick and suck on my earlobe, eyelids and nose. i understand it's a type of affection but is it okay to let him continue? i tend to just lift him up and redirect him elsewhere after awhile.

in addition, i'm thinking of training him on a leash to bring him out for walks because i live in a really small apartment and i feel so bad keeping him inside all the time. however, he isn't too fond of trainings and the leash. is it 100% necessary to make sure he's fully trained on the leash before i can bring him out? or would it work out fine if i leash him with his struggles and bring him out (and hopefully the outside distracts him because he's never been out??) otherwise.. any advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Try a hiss just like his momma would do to teach him manners.
I'm thinking allowing the licking isn't a great idea but you're redirecting him so eventually he might grow out if it. If he doesn't, i guess the question is, would that bother you?

If you're absolutely sure he wouldn't be able to get out of the harness, I'd say try outside...

You have lots of different types of toys (wand, platter, food puzzle etc) and a cat tree inside? Maybe a laser light? I'm not really a fan of those but it sounds like there's quite a bit of pent up energy here LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat tree inside but he doesn't seem to know how to use it, he only dares to go to the second level and not any higher haha.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you had your kitten? Currently, the "recommendation" is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till 12 weeks so they have time to learn kitty manners. If adopted out too soon, the human "parents" need to teach the kitten how to "play nice".

Here's a link with more info: Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States

Plus one on How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

The biting could also be "love bites": How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

Here's a link also on Harness And Leash Training For Cats

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long have you had your kitten? Currently, the "recommendation" is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till 12 weeks so they have time to learn kitty manners. If adopted out too soon, the human "parents" need to teach the kitten how to "play nice".

Here's a link with more info: Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States

Plus one on How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

The biting could also be "love bites": How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

Here's a link also on Harness And Leash Training For Cats
I've had him since he was about 2 days past 10 weeks and he's currently 13 weeks exactly. so.. 3 weeks?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So he wasn't super young when you adopted him. Hopefully trying some of the tips other replies, as well as in the "play nice" link will help curb his biting.

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So he wasn't super young when you adopted him. Hopefully trying some of the tips other replies, as well as in the "play nice" link will help curb his biting.

i saw the link, however, it usually happens outside of playtime. :( today, he's been biting my cheek? first time he's done that. both times, he was all cuddly and came to nuzzle me and after licking my cheek he bit on it. was that supposed to be affectionate?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's one more article. Maybe it will be closer to your situation, though I still think it's more likely love bites, or just a kitten not realizing it is hurting you with it bites/scratches.
Cat Aggression Toward People