Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys i adopted a kitten a couple of days ago
we were told specifically he had been flead and wormed

well after several hours he started itching quite a lot
then he started itching once an hour
and then once every ten/15 min

i combed his fur and did not see any sign of fleas/flea dirt

this morning i high temperature hot washed all bedding and clothing it may have come into contact with

our floor is laminated but i still flea sprayed it and our matress

so really i did a total cleanout

i also applied frontline drop on behind the skin on the nape

this was about 4 hours ago

i didnt see any sign of fleas even jumping off or dead fleas or any fleas at all

however, 4 hours later the kitten is still itching like once every 5 or 10 min

what should i do

the lady i bought him off did say he used to have a dry skin condition, i asked him to elaborate on it but she isnt responding to texts

also with regards to him being wormed, he is continiuously flatulating since we bought him, with random wind breaks all the time even when not using the toilet

what is wrong with people who breed these kittens and lie !!!

i know vet may be the best solution if it continues but to be honest i just spent about 20 pounds today on the worming and fleaing material alone!!!

so i definatly want to wait before shelling out another 30 plus quid just for a vet appointment

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Find out what food this lady was feeding him and give him that to see if the itching stops, and perhaps even the flatulence. He might be allergic to the food you are giving him. It's a place to start anyway.

It also could be somewhat related to him being in a new home - until he becomes more comfortable with his new surroundings - adding stress and attributing to his itchiness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Find out what food this lady was feeding him and give him that to see if the itching stops, and perhaps even the flatulence. He might be allergic to the food you are giving him. It's a place to start anyway.

It also could be somewhat related to him being in a new home - until he becomes more comfortable with his new surroundings - adding stress and attributing to his itchiness.
thanks for reply
we were told he likes all kind of food

also he is very comfortable in the new place, playing and purring so it isnt stress

would love to hear suggestions thanks

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i know vet may be the best solution if it continues but to be honest i just spent about 20 pounds today on the worming and fleaing material alone!!! so i definatly want to wait before shelling out another 30 plus quid just for a vet appointment
How old is the kitten? Has the kitten received any of its initial series of vaccinations?

I know you do not want to spend additional money, but it's always good to take new kittens to the vet for a routine checkup. The vet may be able to help you determine why the kitten is itching, so that you don't have to spend more money on over-the-counter products. Also, if your kitten hasn't had any of its vaccinations yet, you will want to get the series started. For example, a typical vaccination schedule starts at 8 weeks, with boosters at 12 weeks and 16 weeks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He might be allergic to the food you are giving him. It's a place to start anyway.
I'm with feebysowner, I'm thinking it is food related.

Can you try canned food, and add unflavored Pedialyte and also Kitten Milk Replacer? 4-5 small meals with kibble available, but I'd try a different brand of kibble.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys i adopted a kitten a couple of days ago
we were told specifically he had been flead and wormed ...
Do you have more details as to when he was given flea and worm medicine(s)?

... well after several hours he started itching quite a lot
then he started itching once an hour
and then once every ten/15 min

i combed his fur and did not see any sign of fleas
/flea dirt ...
Depending on when he was given flea meds, any fleas he had on him could be really kicking up a fuss as they die. It would make him feel itchier and weirder for a bit (and flea bites are prickly and itchy, if they are also biting him as they die off).

... i also applied frontline drop on behind the skin on the nape

this was about 4 hours ago

i didnt see any sign of fleas even jumping off or dead fleas or any fleas at all

however, 4 hours later the kitten is still itching like once every 5 or 10 min

what should i do
I'm just a little worried about if you know when the breeder supposedly gave the kitten a flea med and how far apart that was from the time period when you have given him additional Frontline topical med today. Could you call and ask them, so you can be sure how much and what kind of flea meds he is handling right now?

Anyway, I agree with other posters that a vet visit is a great idea for a new kitten, to get them all checked out and everything.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, is this a reputable breeder or, a backyard breeder?

Backyard breeders frequently do not take particularly good care of their kittens; they are looking to make money above and beyond all else.

I understand you'd prefer not to bring the kitten to the vet, however, in general anytime you get a new pet, you should bring it to a vet to have it checked over no matter it's health status. It's important to establish the animal with the vet, get baseline health information, and if the pet happens to be ill to get a quick handle on the situation before it escalates into something larger and, more expensive to treat later.

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, so on saturday i bought a new `kitten` as an addition to my famiy

The person who sold the kitten, on the phone redirected me to another adress and another person, who sold me the kitten.
It was daytime on a public road, at a house so it wasnt `shady` but stil alarm bells should have rung.

Okay so the cat was itching away constantly - even though i didnt see fleas that was my first thought so i washed him, bought frontline, hooved everywhere.

Turns out he had a skin condition, flakey skin, bits of scaley skin in fur, thats what is causing it.

Next, flatuence constantly passing gas.

I wormed him with all in one expensive tablet.

A week on every time he even goes to the toilet he squeals in pain.

Not to mention and i didnt at the time care too much, but they advertised him as ten weeks old, now whilst hes definatly not an adult and techincally a kitten, hes definatly about 3 months old A LEAST. so they even lied about the age.

Ive already (without going to vets yet,) spent about 40 pounds on vets 4 pets medications, which includes fleaing sprays/powders/front line tablets/dry skin shampoo/worming tablets.

Thats not to even mention the food and litter costs!

The person who advertisted hasnt even texted me back all week - all i asked was for more information about the skin condition.

Im soo sad, i have enough problems in my life at the moment without having a problem cat needing constant care. But the LAST THING I want to do is dump him on somebody else as `their problem`.

What should i do?

Please reply. All my love

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been to the vet for a checkup yet? We aren't vets, so we can't tell you what is going on with your kitten. It would be best for him to be examined by a vet before being treated with any more medications or re-homed with an unsuspecting family.

Last edited by a moderator:

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
also - i sent a polite but firm text message to the seller an hour ago, and shes accusing me of `harrassing her` and to to leave her alone

all i said was ``you did not tell me about this skin condition i need to know more about it, and has he always had pain when going to the toilet, i need to know as these re serious issues``

and she texted back saying `look stop harrasing my phone, i got the kitten from a farm, ive answered your questions leave me alone dont text me again`.

so i have replied saying `please do not play victim, im the victim here and so is the cat, and your faliure to answer a simple question is worrying so i am passing your details on to the rspca`.

So yes, i just do not know what to do, i know life is easy but ive got enough going on in life with a new born human baby, and a couple of other cats in my life, we just wanted a spring chicken energetic happy kitten in our life to add to the joy

Last edited by a moderator:

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh, and he does NOT itch as much anymore i do need to say that
its currently maybe once an hour maximum
as appose to 6 days ago, it was like every several minutes
so again its not stopped completly but its a lot less than it used to be!
also i dont think it was ever fleas as i never saw a single dead flea, not with all the shampooing or frontline, nothing jumped off nor have i seen one going through its fur

the problem like i have said in the new thread is much more a case of the (still dry skin condition)

and it cries a lot when going to toilet

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would be best for him to be examined by a vet before being treated with any more medications or re-homed with an unsuspecting family.
I agree with this statement. What country do you live in? Is there financial aid available to you, or can you work out something with a vet so you can get this kitten in?

I think at this point any further discussion with the seller is less important than getting the kitten seen by a professional so that the reason he's crying in the litter box can be addressed, as soon as possible. :vibes:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What you need to do is take him to the vet. And, please tell them everything you've already tried so that they know what he has already been given by you.

Stop bothering with this person you got him from - at this point it is pretty obvious that you cannot trust anything she says anyway. Focus on getting your kitten better, and just know to never deal with this person again.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's quite possible you may still have a few fleas in your house, because you described the other kitten you got earlier this month as being covered in fleas when you got her. Do you still have her, too?
Its Killing Me - Beautiful New Kitty Wont Let Me Hold Her
Although you treated both kittens for fleas, it would have been pretty easy for one or two fleas to escape and lay eggs. As it's been a few weeks since you got the other kitten, that would be enough time for those eggs to hatch and become adult fleas by now. It can take a while to eradicate fleas in the house, and you don't always see them. Some cats are very sensitive to fleas and develop dramatic allergic reactions, so it's possible that is what you are seeing in this kitten. A vet should be able to help you figure out the problem.

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What you need to do is take him to the vet. And, please tell them everything you've already tried so that they know what he has already been given by you.

Stop bothering with this person you got him from - at this point it is pretty obvious that you cannot trust anything she says anyway. Focus on getting your kitten better, and just know to never deal with this person again.
on a positive note though the itching isnt as frequent
its maybe once an hour maximum
and yes ill take to the vet next week

i did look up the crying in toilet issue on google
and apprently crying when going to toilet but little to no waste coming out is a serious problem, possibly a fatal one

but he is actually excreting and urinating okay, its just hes crying a lot

i have though like i say only had him a week
so maybe the things i have done for him this week with the shampoo the fleaing worming and all that, were what he needed, but it just needs time as things dont magicaly heal overnight?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but he is actually excreting and urinating okay, its just hes crying a lot
That might just mean that there is sediment/small stones in the urine that he is passing that are painful. It possibly just hasn't progressed to the point of blocking anything yet. But, yes, if the stones/sediment in the urine increase/grow bigger - they can become a serious problem, possibly a fatal one.

Perhaps the other treatments you've given him will resolve some of his issues!! :crossfingers:

I just don't know how any of them are going to help with him crying while peeing.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes young kittens cry in the litter box and it doesn't mean anything, but it can also indicate a serious problem or even an emergency. Since he is a young kitten, he needs to go to the vet anyway for a checkup and to get started with his vaccinations, so it is good that you are taking him in. Are you also taking the other kitten that you got earlier this month (if you still have her)? She will need her kitten vaccinations and a checkup, too.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know the kitten's age? Being a barn rescue, maybe not be very accurate. Or his mom's nutrition before birth and his after being born?