Kitten is acting strange, lathargic, walking funny and waking up in terrors

needhelpwithkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My kitten is about 5 months old, he started acting weird when I moved into a new house a month or so ago. But just the past little bit he had been getting worse. We also have an older cat here who sometimes gets outside.... We took him to the vet a few days ago because he was barely eating or drinking and very lethargic, he wasn't walking normally. The vet ran blood tests and everything came out fine except his white blood cells where a little high but it wasn't a cause for alarm. She ended up giving him antibiotics and gabbapentin and said to come back in ten days if he is not better... last night he was drooling alot(although his adult teeth are coming in, so maybe that's why?) But then this morning he woke up from a sleep and looked freaked out and started running frantically and in circles..... he ended up doing it again hours later. I have barely any money and have medical issues myself so I'm on a very limited income, we took him to get checked out again at the vet hospital and said he should be ok until we get him in to get examined again.... as I was writing this he kind of did it again! I kind of got a video of it, but its not letting me upload.. it's freaking me out!!!! I don't know what this could be? I need help, might be headed back to the vet again

Attachments

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This coincides when you moved into your new house a month ago? My first thought is there is something your cat is very allergic to or being poisoned by. I notice the pupils of his eyes are very dilated. Do you have any plants in the house such as lilies or ponsiettas or have you been using any essential oils or air fresheners? Do you have one of those salt lamps? All of these can be highly poisonous to cats. The only time I've seen something like this was when one of my cats had a reaction to Frontline spot on flea solution but it passed after about 30 minutes.

Elevated white blood cells is usually an indicator of an infection going on somewhere but if the cat is on antibiotics, that should sort out any infection. I've had many cats and kittens over the years and never seen them drool like that when they've been getting their adult teeth in. I'm in the UK but will stay up a bit longer for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

needhelpwithkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No we have no plants or anything, my diffuser isn't set up and have not used it. We do have an air freshener one of those glade ones that plug into the outlet. I put Castor oil on my face sometimes and he sleeps right beside me.... I'm not sure if it could be that. He just started acting this way today, I'm wondering if possibly a side effect or a bad reaction to the gabbapentin? Because the drooling just started, we took him to get blood test a few days ago, then got his vitals checked today at the emerg and they said everything is fine on that end but she did say he was walking funny

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

needhelpwithkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And he only has been drooling like that when he's asleep and then wakes up in a panic and starts running around. When he's awake he doesnt drool like that its only while asleep and during his freak out and a few moments after, thank you for your help and responding I appreciate it

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did some Googling.

Castor Oil Side Effects

Side effects tend to be rare, however, it's important to be aware of any potential reactions as each pet responds differently.

• Do not give to pregnant cats or dogs unless working with your integrative vet
  • Can cause diarrhoea
  • Potentially toxic to cats (work with your integrative vet)
  • Some pets may have an allergic reaction
  • May cause vomiting when given orally
  • May cause weakness
  • Continued long term use can damage the digestive system
  • Continued long term use can cause mineral depletion and electrolyte abnormalities
The only side-effect from Gabapentin I can see is it can cause drowsiness and can affect co-ordination.

The fact your cat is drooling suggests he's licking something.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And he only has been drooling like that when he's asleep and then wakes up in a panic and starts running around. When he's awake he doesnt drool like that its only while asleep and during his freak out and a few moments after, thank you for your help and responding I appreciate it
You say he sleeps beside you on your bed. Next question is, could it be what you wash the bedclothes with? I've recently tried two different washing soap products and had to stop using both due to the extremely high amount of perfume in them. Both are "high end" products. Gone back to supermarket own brand. Hardly any perfume and does a better job!

Is it possible for you and our cat to move into another room for a couple of nights and see what happens? If it doesn't happen again, move back into your bedroom and if it happens again then it has to be something in that room. Process of elimination but it does look to me like he's having a reaction of some kind to something.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get rid of the air freshener.

Taken from Floppycats.com:

While air fresheners might seem like an excellent way to make your house smell nice, particularly around a cat's litter box, air freshener toxic chemicals can cause serious health problems for your cat.

The chemicals irritate the mucus membranes and breathing passages of your kitty. They can cause even more serious long-term problems if they contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs), carbon-based compounds that remain in your home's air even after a spray evaporates.

Some long-term effects of exposure to VOCs include liver or kidney damage, cancer, and nervous system problems. Short-term effects include vomiting, breathing issues, dizziness, and eye/mouth/nose irritation.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, as suggested eliminate the air freshener, but in case this wasn't specified, I would also stop using the castor oil for a while. Wash the pillow case and sheets in pet safe laundry detergent to remove the oil from those as well, and use wool balls instead of dryer sheets.