Kitten introduction

Sirmscher105

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I lost my beloved cat of 20 years last November, leaving us with a four-year-old male named Simba. After a few weeks we tried to introduce an approximately nine month old female and it did NOT go well. Simba is skittish to begin with and the female was a bit of a spitfire. Despite my best efforts we had to give her back to her foster (she did go on to a forever home.) It's been about 6 months and Simba has returned to his old self. He definitely needed a recovery period! We'd like to try again, this time with a young, non-threatening-to-Simba kitten and we were hoping for a male due to the higher likelihood of two males getting along. My friend who fosters had one available for us that she thought was male but it turns out she's a female! I'm not too concerned about gender making a difference in them being able to get along initially since she's such a young kitten. But Is it possible that when she gets older, their established hierarchy could change? Could we have behavioral issues once she reaches maturity or would the relationship they form while she's young stick? Thanks all!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you are going to timely spay/neuter, gender shouldn't matter. There are lots of super experienced cat people who have the belief it matters in some way, but they don't all agree on how it matters, and afaik, there is no scientific evidence that it matters.

Kittens are typically easier, and it definitely may go better this time, especially if you read the above guides and do a proper introduction process. Sometimes there are problems, even with a kitten, so just be mentally prepared for some stress for a while.