Kitten Introduction Set Backs

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi, I have two kittens that I introduced to my two older resident cats about 6 months ago. While there is no fighting to the extent that anyone is ever hurt, I feel like they just will never get along. While one of the older ones is somewhat ok with the kittens, the other one just wants nothing to do with them, and when they approach him, he just moans a little or hisses and walks away. He's not afraid or anything, he just hates them. My older boys are twelve, and the little ones are only about 10 months old. Will this ever get any better? It makes me sad because I still have to put kittens downstairs for a few hours a night so I can get some sleep because I know if they tried to jump in bed with me, the older cat that sleeps with me will be so mad. (the basement, however, is fully furnished and quite nice). i just get really discouraged that they will never like each other. (the two older guys love each other) and the two little guys love each other.

vix74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know but I have a very similar situation with my senior girl and pair of youngsters! My kittens are about 9-10 months now, senior girl is about 15-16 yrs old. Some of the time they co-exist peacefully (mostly when the older girl is sleeping and ignores the kittens), but just the other day she chased the young boy under a chair for no reason, and often she gets hissy/growly at them. I too feel like it's never going to get better so would love to hear of positive stories anyone can share!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This may improve with time, or it may not. 6 months seems like a long time to you, but for cats it really isn't, they are such creatures of habit. HOWEVER, you have two pairs of cats who get along well with each other inside that pair. No one is feeling left out or lonely or isolated. AND the kittens have a lovely place to spend the night. And the one cat doesn't actively HATE the kittens (he'd attack), he just has NO use for them, whatsoever.

You might try site-swapping with them at night. Allow the older cats to sleep with you one night, the kittens the next. This could work, as your older cats would get used to the smell of the kittens on your bed. Or it could backfire and you may have cat pee on your bed. It will either work well or not at all, and as with most things having to do with felines, you don't know till you try it!

Meanwhile, there is one article here that may provide some insight and ideas:
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Let me know how things are going for the five of you!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Believe it or not, a lot of people would be happy with this. It's not that bad. And the feelings or reason you have for putting the little ones in the basement are based on your emotions, that you are worried you will upset the other cat. Let them work it out. You want them with you and it is possible to have that. I think in time this will fade out. Maybe your expectations are too high. But there is no real fighting going on here. I say hang in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks, and I would love to hear any positive stories out there as well. They do actually all sleep on our bed during the day together, as long as they are sleeping they are fine. my husband who is home during the day, has sent me pictures, of two piles of cats laying on the bed, the two little ones laying with each other, and the two old guys on the way opposite side of the bed, holding each other. so i know it could be worse. unfortunately when i get home from work, they are all excited to see me, and come at me at the same time, so that is when the hissing starts. If there are any great stories out there, that they are all going to have a big love fest some day, do tell! I know that is being way optimistic but .....

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lovefest would be lovely, indeed, but may not happen. However, I'm very hopeful that you can reach "peaceful tolerance and respect."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope so because this morning was anything but even peaceful tolerance and respect. i'm starting to get very discouraged, since it has been so long.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there! Don't forget, cat's timing is very different from ours. You would think that, with their shorter lives, things would move faster, but just the opposite is true! And older cats get VERY set in their ways, and don't approve of change. At all. You're getting there....slowly.