Kitten in heat: litterbox problem?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So silver began to poop outside her toilet, i wonder if it got anything to do with her being in heat. When she pees, she sometimes use the litterbox, but sometimes she pees on the floor in the bathroom (thankfully bathroom so it's easy to clean). It's always that one particular corner too. I wonder she's just marking? But she doesn't spray to vertical surface (if female cats can even spray)

Now the poop is a little bit more troublesome. She refuses to poop in the box 2/3 of the time now. She poops on the floor beside the litterbox in my room and it can be smelly. If i spot her, i would pick her to the box and she will use it, but if not, she will poop on the floor.

It doesn't look like she is straining and the poop is normal, no diarrhea or anything. I wonder if it's cause of the cycle or something else?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, probably because she's in heat. "Hey boys, smell this, come and get it!", etc.

Females can spray upright (I have a couple that do, ugh) but peeing on flat surfaces is another way of marking.

Does she have a spay appointment soon?

Feather_LePew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes females can spray.
Maybe she doesn't like the litter.. Is it cleaned out and she still doesn't go inside. Are there

Feather_LePew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what happened to the rest of my reply.. Anyway I have 5 cats and two of them won't go in a box if another cat uses it. They have to have their own box or they will go on the outside of the community box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, probably because she's in heat. "Hey boys, smell this, come and get it!", etc.

Females can spray upright (I have a couple that do, ugh) but peeing on flat surfaces is another way of marking.

Does she have a spay appointment soon?
next month sadly. i called and they don't want to spay during heat and wait until she's a bit older.

Yes females can spray.
Maybe she doesn't like the litter.. Is it cleaned out and she still doesn't go inside. Are there
she used it just fine for poop the past 3 weeks, and she use it for peeing too sometimes. i don't think it's litter problem.

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know, I had a cat that did the exact same thing! After she went into heat, she began using the litter box less and less. Eventually, we had to get her one covered and one uncovered litter box. We switched them occasionally (because she always wanted something new). Eventually, we gave her both boxes. Another way to stop it is to change her litter box on her first day of heat, in the middle (of heat), and at the end, because while she is in heat, her urine will smell more. She may not want to use it because the smell is more pungent and she thinks it is dirty (even when it is not)...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
because while she is in heat, her urine will smell more. She may not want to use it because the smell is more pungent and she thinks it is dirty (even when it is not)...
Huh i didn't know. I kinda noticed the other cat(adult, female, spayed) is avoiding that box too. You might be onto something there