Kitten Help :)

Lauren89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, Am new here and needing a bit of help with my cat and her 5 day old kittens.
Matilda gave birth to 4 beautiful kittens on Friday she decided to have them in my sons room behind the tv unit and since then has stayed there with them.
I flead her with advantage today and then changed her bedding but when I went back in she had moved one of the kittens under the bed. Ive put the old bedding back and was wondering why she has done that?
Thank you.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She wants more privacy. Has she now moved everyone under the bed? If not, they all need to be together so you may want to help her out.

You can change the bedding. You'll need to wash it in hot water to kill flea eggs and larvae. She'll adapt.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal for mother cats to move kittens around. This goes back to cats' days in the wild when the mother wouldn't want the smell of herself or her kittens to linger around, which could attract predators, so it's just instinct.

Do you plan to spay Matilda after the kittens are weaned?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lauren89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I had to put the kitten back just because under the bed is not very safe but should I leave her if she does it again? She only moved one when I noticed but when I put him back she did lie down and they all started feeding so I'm hoping she will stay with them all.
Yes have already booked her in for spaying she's a house cat and has been all her life however she managed to get out end of January and was missing for 5 weeks but has been in and will stay in until spayed! Was due to builders being in and leaving doors open!
I am weighing kittens every day too, also is it normal for kittens to fight over a nipple when feeding?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good you put the kitten back. Count heads each time you check on them in case she does this again.

Yes, it's normal for kittens to fight over nipples. They usually settle on "their" nipple and will not let another kitten use it unless they are asleep.

You can attempt to re-direct a kitten to another nipple when they are fighting if it will accept it.

Are they each gaining at least 6-10 grams daily?

Lauren89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they are gaining roughly 9-14 grams a day at the moment. I have heard many story's about fading kitten syndrome and perhaps I've been reading too much about it so think I'm currently being over cautious as I know how vulnerable they are. Is matilda able to be wormed as usual or do I need to use one that's different now? She is due to be wormed this week but don't want to cause problems for her or them.

Lauren89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you i will worm her as usual then, they are a week old on Friday when do they roughly open there eyes? I'm definitely being over cautious, when are they less fragile and less likely to die from fading kitten syndrome?
I have had cats for years but never kittens so feel overwhelmed!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Eyes open anywhere between 7 and 14 days. The first 3 weeks are the most fragile time, but until they are eating on their own around 5-6 weeks you need to be esoecially vigilant.

Lauren89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eyes began to open yesterday (8 days old) one of the kittens eyes are almost both fully open and the others aren't far behind!
Almost all have doubled their birth weight too so am happy that mum is doing well.
Will be advertising kittens in our vets soon :)
When do they begin to go toilet without mum having to help them?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good to hear they are doing so well! :)

They will begin toileting on their own around 4-5 weeks old.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens should stay with mom for 10-12 weeks at least. We'd love to see photos!

Lauren89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will get pictures later they are wriggly little things I tried the other day and they were not having any of it! All of their eyes are open but is it normal to see the third eyelid on them?
They all seem to have it on both eyes but the eyes are not sore or anything.

Lauren89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Am not sure if your able to see but they all have it, they aren't all open properly almost half squinted but I have been looking online and only seen that when it is showing it means illness.
However minus that I cant see any other signs of them being ill...all gaining weight not discharge etc

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the eyes still opening?

You may want to ask the vet for terramycin in case they have infection.

Lauren89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I would say they aren't fully opened yet, will they need to be seen by a vet to get that?
Have seen online that it could be worms? I have worming paste ready for when they are 2 week which will be Friday.
They are gaining a lot of weight almost 20g a day so they don't seem ill but am now worrying :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
L Lauren89x

They appear fine and the weight gains are excellent. Kittens are usually wormed at 8 weeks unless they need it sooner.

Try to relax and let the eyes finish opening. If there is no green or yellow goo in the eyes there is no infection. :)

Lauren89x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Havent seen any poop as I'm assuming mum is cleaning it up? Mum has been flead with advantage and wormed with panacur paste, it says I can use it from 2 weeks so I'm wondering whether to use it just in case? Ive heard the third eyelid can be the first sign of illness so am worried!