Kitten Healthy Concern

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
DFA9472D-1C46-438B-BEEA-7E34BA17C076.jpeg

We just took in three rescues a few days ago, the kitten pictured is Skittles and her two sisters, who are both black kittens, are Twix and Kit Kat. When we first brought them in we needed to flea bathe them because they had fleas crawling all over them and the insides of their ears are covered in dirt which means they have ear mites we are treating with medicine as well. I also gave them all a dose of roundworm medicine. Their sister, who we did not take in but actually found a home, was tested negative for FIV/FELV.
I’m concerned about Skittles. Her other two sisters are very outgoing and playful, they have a lot of energy and spunk and are very lovable. Skittles is shy but is warming up to us, but we’ve noticed that she doesn’t have nearly as much energy as her siblings. She barely plays with the laser pointer and for the most part she just sleeps. She is eating and drinking fine, haven’t seen her use the litter box but we keep our rescues in a separate room so she might use it when we aren’t in there.
She doesn’t seem to be sneezing or anything, her temperature was 103.2 though which is higher than it should be. She just seems a bit out of it, like when you are sick and you’re super drowsy with very little energy. She was dumped along with her four siblings and her mom on someone’s property, and they were able to rescue the kittens but not the mom because she was scared. She’s been moved around a lot in the last few days so I don’t know if she’s just scared or if she’s sick... I’m worried about her.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know how old are these kitties? Pity they had to be separated from their mom. If the little one you are worried about is eating and drinking normally and is gaining weight (some 10 grams per day) she should be alright. However the normal body temperatures in cats range from 100 - 102.5°F (37.7 - 39.1°C). Have you been able to confirm she uses the litter box? If she doesn't and the higher than normal temp. persists it would be advisable to consult a vet.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does her third eyelid show up? The eyes seems clear on the pic.

If they were flea infested, she could have tape worm too. Ie she has more of tape worm than the siblings... Try with a tape-worm dewormer too. Droncit?

Can you get raw goats milk? blend in a little of raw honey... Cant hurt, may help...

Some nice vitamine paste...

And yes, if you have access to a good vet, a visit to the vet is wise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brought in fecal samples from her two sisters, Twix and Kit Kat, so hopefully I will get results tomorrow. If it comes back as anything I’ll have to make an appointment, and if she gets worse I have an emergency vet 20 minutes away I visit. Since it’s Easter (and my birthday) weekend unfortunately making an appointment before Tuesday will be difficult with my vet.
They are older that 8 weeks, I’m thinking about 12, but that’s an estimate. They’re still pretty small but old enough to be away from their mom and eating hard food.
I have not seen her use the litter box but I set up a separate cage I’ll keep her in overnight to see if she is using it or not, if not I will be extremely concerned. She eats and drinks but unlike her sisters she doesn’t use the bathroom right after.
Her third eyelid isn’t showing thankfully.
I was thinking they probably have tapeworm, so I got a fecal sample in right away. I do have medicine for tapeworm but I won’t give it to them until I know since it’s almost 30 dollars for only 3 pills.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fecal test came back negative for her two sisters, not sure if I should bring a sample from her as well since they all share the same litter boxes anyways? And she did use the bathroom last night, I gave her a tiny bit of Karo syrup on her lips to help in case she was just constipated. I’ll continue to keep a close eye on her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she is eating/drinking/using litter box, everything should be OK. She may just have a little virus, or just may be more stressed then her sisters. If she quits eating, bring her in.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Karo gives extra energhy so wise you did try with it.

A drop or two of oil helps for constipation. Use coldpressed olive oil for example.