Kitten having sneezing fits?

Jdamon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I have a almost 15 week old kitten who about a week ago started having these sneezing fits. Sometimes its just one sneeze, other times it sounds like hes about to have a hairball but nothing comes out. A small amount of eye discharge, no nose discharge though. He also has all his normal energy, and is eating and drinking normally. Tonights hes snoring a little in his sleep. I started giving him L-Lysine treats once daily to see if i could boost his immune system and maybe get him over whatever this is. Im assuming he has an upper respiratory infection, but is it something to really worry about? He has a vet appointment on Friday for his next round of shots, but i cant stop worrying!

Heres a bonus photo of him napping from earlier today, after a crazy fit 😉

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... what a cutie pie. :lovecat2: It does sound maybe like an URI. My Ruby came home from the shelter with one. They gave me drops to put in her eyes (not fun, especially with a newly adopted cat) but after it cleared up, it never reoccurred.

Since he's going to the vet tomorrow, he should be fine, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to call and tell them what's going on with him, as they might not want to give him the shots while he's not feeling up to par.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with not giving shots if he not well as that all hits the immune system. Ask they to make sure nothing is in his nose. My GSD puppy managed to inhale a foxtail in the back yard almost immediately after I brought him home....no the yard was not a mess but he found the only one. You don't want anything to progress into the lungs as then you do have a medical situation on your hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jdamon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with not giving shots if he not well as that all hits the immune system. Ask they to make sure nothing is in his nose. My GSD puppy managed to inhale a foxtail in the back yard almost immediately after I brought him home....no the yard was not a mess but he found the only one. You don't want anything to progress into the lungs as then you do have a medical situation on your hands.
Told my vet all about it, says theres nothing to worry about! Since his mom was feral, he may have been born with herpes! Not contagious to humans, vet told me 2 of her cats have it! The "flare up" is him having a coughing fit when he gets excited or stressed. He usually has one right when we get home! Got his shots anyways, it was a booster and an FIV shot so she said it wasnt a big deal, even if his immune system was low this would help anyways!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jdamon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww... what a cutie pie. :lovecat2: It does sound maybe like an URI. My Ruby came home from the shelter with one. They gave me drops to put in her eyes (not fun, especially with a newly adopted cat) but after it cleared up, it never reoccurred.

Since he's going to the vet tomorrow, he should be fine, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to call and tell them what's going on with him, as they might not want to give him the shots while he's not feeling up to par.
Turns out he may have herpes! His mom was feral, so its a high possibility. No big deal, immune treats and watching him is the cure! Vet told us 2 of her cats have it, and as long as it doesnt get worse he'll be okay. Got shots anyways!