Kitten Having Fits, Shaking. Help.

Erisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had brought a stray kitten ( named fili )to my home a week ago. He was given milk from a bottle for a few days because he is very young. Then, he was eating solid food such as crushed rice and was doing well. Yesterday, he was given food as normal, but he didn't eat much at all. All he did was to lie down in my balcony which receive s a lot of sun. Then suddenly he starts shouting and howling like a very old cat and drooling from his mouth. He then has a fit and his whole body keeps shaking. Now, he is droopy and always puts his head down , not eating unless force fed, panting as if something is stuck on his throat. If I try to pick him up he tries to return to his original position.
I am giving him electrolytes and vitamins. He is not responding much and his eyes, dilated are looking down . What should I do ?

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there anyway you could get him to a vet? It sounds like something that would be better assessed by a vet, especially with the kitten being so young.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milk and rice is not good nutrition. Have you fed him any meat or cat food since you brought him home?

What type of vitamins are you giving him?

It sounds like he needs to go to a vet right away. :alright:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A droopy head and limpness could be a thiamine deficiency if he's been eating white rice and no meat. A lot of fish and no meat causes the same deficiency. Thiamine is extremely critical to a cat's health. They become very sick quickly.

This is a photo of a cat with a droopy head from lack of thiamine:

If you are taking your kitten to the vet, please tell the vet details about the kitten's diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erisha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your help, I will take him to vet and get him checked. He was eating tiny fish bits I snuck in his rice though maybe you are right.

Cielle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he's very young, try giving him kitten milk replacer or another formula specifically made for kittens. Other forms of dairy won't cut it. And if he can eat solid food, you should get him a cat food specifically for kittens, preferably wet. Dry food works too, but dampen it first so it doesn't hurt his teeth. Catfooddb is a great website to check nutritional content of various brands. Good luck with your baby! Let us know how the visit goes

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's he doing today? Did you get him to the vet?

You mentioned giving him electrolytes and vitamins. He isn't getting the right nutrition from rice, milk and tiny bits of fish. What type of vitamin are your giving him?