Kitten has thrown up twice in 2 days

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So a little bit of a long story as to how I got this kitten but to keep it short, he use to be a stray now he's not. He has been to the vet and doesn't have parasites. He has been eating the same food since we got him (an other couple rescued him). But in the last 2 days he has thrown up twice. I thought it was because he was eating too fast but the last time he ate was this morning and it is currently 7:25 pm. He hasn't eaten anything he isn't suppose to and I can't figure out why he all of sudden is having tummy trouble. Any advice?

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the portion size. We have an 8 week old kitten (also abandoned from her mom) and we feed her 1.5 oz. of Royal Canin baby cat canned food and Fancy Feast kitten food (canned) four times a day - alternating to give her variety and so she doesn't get used to one flavor. If we feed her more than that at one sitting she would get bloated (and she threw up once). She also has a small amount of Merrik dry kitten food available and twice a day she gets a serving of KMR milk replacement. She also has fresh water available. It seems to be working.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the portion size. We have an 8 week old kitten (also abandoned from her mom) and we feed her 1.5 oz. of Royal Canin baby cat canned food and Fancy Feast kitten food (canned) four times a day - alternating to give her variety and so she doesn't get used to one flavor. If we feed her more than that at one sitting she would get bloated (and she threw up once). She also has a small amount of Merrik dry kitten food available and twice a day she gets a serving of KMR milk replacement. She also has fresh water available. It seems to be working.
He's been getting 1 can of fancy feast kitten (small can) in the morning and then occasionally an additional can at night. He always has water available. It is a variety pack. He would be getting dry food but 1 of my cats has to be on medicated wet food and it's easier to feed all 3 of them wet food. He does seem bloated but I assumed that was just gas.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's been getting 1 can of fancy feast kitten (small can) in the morning and then occasionally an additional can at night. He always has water available. It is a variety pack. He would be getting dry food but 1 of my cats has to be on medicated wet food and it's easier to feed all 3 of them wet food. He does seem bloated but I assumed that was just gas.
A full small can might be too much at once. If you can, break it up into smaller meals 3-4 times a day ( 1/2 to 1/3 of a small can each time).

"Can Kittens Overeat?
The short answer is: absolutely! Kittens will likely eat whatever amount of food you give them, and so it’s up to you to make sure they aren’t eating too much. Overeating in kittens can lead to diarrhea, which sounds benign but is actually quite dangerous for them, especially for very young kittens.

In addition, kittens can vomit from overeating as well. This is also a serious issue and in either case, you need to keep an eye on the kitten to make sure they are okay."
https://www.catkingpin.com/can-kittens-overeat/

Edit: I should have mentioned the feeding amount depends on the age of your kitten as well.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is also possible he might have worms even if he was treated for them before. You might want to take a stool sample to the vet.