Kitten has teary eyes

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Our lovely cat has recently got a litter of two beautiful kittens. They are now 4 weeks old. One of them has teary eyes and some black stuff in his eye corners. I noticed it when he was around 2 weeks old, but maybe he has it since birth, I am not sure. What should I do in this case?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Begin by gently wiping the eyes several times daily with a warm soft cloth to clean them and keep them clean. Dipping the cloth in plain tea made from a tea bag (but not hot) seems to be therapeutic. If you see green or yellow discharge in either kitten’s eyes you’ll want to get a tube of antibiotic ointment called terramycin from your vet or a tractor supply store. It works wonders for kitten eye infections.

Do you plan to spay mom when the kittens are 8 weeks old? Do not let her out or near intact males in the meantime. She can get pregnant again already. :)

Petu_900

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been through the same with my litter, first it was one but they all ended up catching it, it was under control while I cleaned it with chamomile but I had to do it several times a day, when they where for their first check up with the vet he told us it was actually something they got from the mom and gave them some eye medication. He gave it to us but just with the one time application at the vet they got completely cured, and I used to have to clean them at least 3 times a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Begin by gently wiping the eyes several times daily with a warm soft cloth to clean them and keep them clean. Dipping the cloth in plain tea made from a tea bag (but not hot) seems to be therapeutic. If you see green or yellow discharge in either kitten’s eyes you’ll want to get a tube of antibiotic ointment called terramycin from your vet or a tractor supply store. It works wonders for kitten eye infections.

Do you plan to spay mom when the kittens are 8 weeks old? Do not let her out or near intact males in the meantime. She can get pregnant again already. :)
Thanks very much, I wiped his eyes with tea and it got much better after that, but it’s not completely gone yet. He doesn’t have any green or yellow discharge, it’s rather black. I must probably repeat the tea procedure.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been through the same with my litter, first it was one but they all ended up catching it, it was under control while I cleaned it with chamomile but I had to do it several times a day, when they where for their first check up with the vet he told us it was actually something they got from the mom and gave them some eye medication. He gave it to us but just with the one time application at the vet they got completely cured, and I used to have to clean them at least 3 times a day.
Thanks for sharing. I will show it to my vet as well. Was the stuff in their eyes black as well?

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad the tea helped. You probably need to go ahead and get the terramycin antibiotic ointment. It will take care of any infection. :)
I could not find terramycin ointment in Australia, so I bought Natural Animal Solutions(NAS) Eye Clear For Dogs And Cats for now. Do you know a similar product to terramycin ointment which is sold in Australia?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do not, but your vet should have a similar antibiotic ointment that is made just for eyes. Please check with your vet for the appropriate pharmaceutical product.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not, but your vet should have a similar antibiotic ointment that is made just for eyes. Please check with your vet for the appropriate pharmaceutical product.
Will do, thanks.