Kitten has sensitive spine

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 6 month old male orange cat. He LOVES cuddles and is constantly begging for rubs. Soon as you start rubbing his back/spine he starts meowing and nibbling on your fingers, not in an aggressive way, but more like “don’t do that” but then goes back to wanting to be rubbed. Fiancé thinks he’s just being playful, but I’ve never had a cat not appreciate a back rub. Could he be sensitive along his spine? There isn’t any noticeable problems with his back. I’ve checked. Any opinions are welcomed.
7C1A2B77-05E7-4A7F-9F56-AEE5118A8A21.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! He's beautiful!
He could be sensitive. Have you tried rubbing the end of a wand toy along his back, --only in the direction his fur is growing, which is to say from his shoulders towards his tail?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats don't like to be rubbed on their backs near their tails. That must be a sensitive area for cats.
6 out of 7 cats love their butts rubbed in my house. That spot you mentioned. the one in question likes a light palm rubbing. But when I start scratching his back like I do with the other cats, he’s not having it. Maybe it’s normal? 🤷🏼‍♀️ But all of my other cats love being scratched and rubbed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! He's beautiful!
He could be sensitive. Have you tried rubbing the end of a wand toy along his back, --only in the direction his fur is growing, which is to say from his shoulders towards his tail?
he doesn’t seem to mind a light palm rubbing his back, shoulders to tail. But when I start scratching his back, he’s not having it. I know most common cats don’t appreciate rubs in certain spots. This is new to me, because all the other cats I own love every part of their bodies scratched, and I own 7 🤣🙈

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think, maybe this is a situation where he is different, and I'd probably stop with that particular form of petting, for now. You never know, when he's older he may be more at ease with it :)