Kitten Has Roundworm, Please Help With Info!

motomomma491

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took my kitten to the vet today for her first physical/appointment. She's 8 weeks. Anyway she had her first worm treatment and they tested her poop for worms. She has round worm. I give her another treatment in 10 days. I have super bad issues with over thinking and worrying and am concerned about them being passed to me, my husband, and 18 month old daughter. I'm super good about washing hands after cleaning the litter and I clean it every time she poops, and completely change the litter once a week.

Now my daughter doesn't play in the cat box, I watch her well and make sure of it. My concern is if it's possible for us to get infected by touching the kitten or if she could spread it in to surfaces (ie. Floors, the bed, ect)? I'm just worries because she sleeps with us and so does our daughter. Also my daughter likes to roll on the floor and drop her cups and binkies on the ground then put them back in her mouth, which I can't always monitor.

So are we only at risk if poop is directly touched? Or can it be spread around my house, by touching the Kitten, or if she licks us? Help is much appreciated!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cat worms arent the same specie as human worms, even if they are similiar. So Im not saying there is absolutely no danger, but its very low.
If you make basic precautions with litter box, you shouldnt have any problems.

I have never heard about any infection to humans, so even if its theoretically possible, it surely happens seldom in practice.

And many people do have their cats in bed...

What dewormer did she got?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motomomma491

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh good that makes me feel a lot better. I just want sure if she could track the eggs on her paws, her butt, or tongue. I'm just paranoid because I have a little one too. And I clean the cat box each time she poops. And it's pyrantel pamoate 50mg

motomomma491

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet just made it seem like it was supper common!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pyrantel is good against roundworm.

Please what is common? Roundworms or infecting humans?

motomomma491

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She said it infecting humans is common. And kittens having it is common. That's good though I'm glad it's good in treating them.