Kitten has mucus-y stool with small amount of blood

yawaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found the kitten on June 29. They were originally three but the mother cat came back and took the two, and left the one I have in my care. I waited a full day and she didn't come back.

Animal rescue services/shelters were already rare before and even more so during the pandemic. Government authorities also aren't that well involved with animal rescues in my country unless the animal was getting really abused or neglected.

People under 21 are not allowed to leave the house in my country due to lockdown so I am physically unable to go to vet, nor do I have the funds for it. My parents do not support me in caring for the kitten, they are unwilling to provide funds and vet support. They were even thinking about just tossing the kittens when we first found them :((

Right now, the kitten (estimated two weeks old) is energetic and has a healthy appetite. However, recently his stools have been inconsistent. Sometimes constipated or he has diarrhea. Just now, his poop was mucus-like with blood. I also noticed that his anus is quite swollen and is protruding a bit. I am currently trying to contact vets online who offer free consultations.

Is there anything else I can do that can give him a fighting chance or if someone else has encountered this before?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be great to send a picture to get an estimate on the kitten's age. I really think it is a little older or it wouldn't be pooping or eating on its own. Give it watered down wet kitten food, and if you can get it, mixed with kitten formula or goats milk. Do NOT give cows milk, it in itself can cause diarrhea. The protruding rectum may be from constipation so make sure she is getting plenty of water, or she may need to be stimulated with a warm wet washcloth and running water. Try to find 'Kitten Lady' on the internet, she has many tips for kittens. Bless you for taking her in, she will be a wonderful companion for you, all the luck! Don't hesitate to contact us for anything you need.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, a picture would help. What are you feeding the kitten? Diet may be the cause. Otherwise, it may be parasites or a bacterial intestinal infection. Both are easily cured with medications. What country are you in?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can get raw goats milk, its always useful. Both as food, and sometimes for soothing some intestinal problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yawaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would be great to send a picture to get an estimate on the kitten's age. I really think it is a little older or it wouldn't be pooping or eating on its own. Give it watered down wet kitten food, and if you can get it, mixed with kitten formula or goats milk. Do NOT give cows milk, it in itself can cause diarrhea. The protruding rectum may be from constipation so make sure she is getting plenty of water, or she may need to be stimulated with a warm wet washcloth and running water. Try to find 'Kitten Lady' on the internet, she has many tips for kittens. Bless you for taking her in, she will be a wonderful companion for you, all the luck! Don't hesitate to contact us for anything you need.
Hi! He isn't pooping or peeing on his own, I'm stimulating him with a damp tissue. I'm giving him kitten formula. Kittenlady sure is a godsend 🧡

This him,,

Attachments

yawaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, a picture would help. What are you feeding the kitten? Diet may be the cause. Otherwise, it may be parasites or a bacterial intestinal infection. Both are easily cured with medications. What country are you in?
Hi! This is him. I'm feeding him kitten formula. I live in the Philippines.

Attachments

yawaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Blood in the poop is a sure sign that veterinary intervention is needed, especially in such a young kitten. I understand your situation is difficult, but you need to at least have a phone consultation with a vet.

The following articles will give you more information on how to raise such a young baby:-
Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn’s Life
Fading Kitten Syndrome: 11 Things You Need To Know
The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition
Thanks for the extra sources! 🧡

yawaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can get raw goats milk, its always useful. Both as food, and sometimes for soothing some intestinal problems.
I'll check if I can get my hands on some from online pet stores. Thanks!