Kitten has lump and bruising around her spay incision

gfhq2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi. I had my 7 month old kitten Nora spayed last Tuesday. She was prescribed 6 mgs of Onsior for three days following the procedure for pain management. Her last dose was Friday. I've been checking her incision frequently and today I noticed that she had developed a large lump beneath the incision and that there were red bruises beneath that. I read about this and notes that it is common for these lumps to occur after a few days into recovery. There's no bleeding or discharge. She had bled a little the day after the surgery so I brought her back to the vet and she told me it was fine and that it was normal. I'm just a little concerned so I'll be bringing Nora back to the vet in the morning to be examined but was wondering if the lump and bruising five days after recovery is something any of you have noticed with your cats. I have included a picture of the incision site. Thanks so much

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks to me like it might be getting infected.  Good to show the vet; they can prescribe antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gfhq2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! We went to the vet this morning and apparently this is normal. No signs of infection thank god :)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of mine have always had a lump after surgery but I've not had any of them get bruised. It might have been she over exerted herself when she'd gotten home, jumping or climbing or running, all things she shouldn't be doing for at least 10 days after the surgery.  I keep all mine in a holding pen for a week for recovery. Did she get absorbable sutures or the regular kind that have to be removed in ten days?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gfhq2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The bruising appeared yesterday and were gone by this morning. Very strange. The sutures are the absorbable kind. 

She was not very active this week, but I didn't confine her in anything but a room. I'm thinking that maybe when she was finished with her course of pain meds/antinflammatory, she swelled up quickly. She's already looking much better today.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad everything is good! :)