Kitten has butt problems - please help!

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 6-weeks old kitten, and today I noticed he has poo all over his butt. When I tried to wash it, I noticed that his anus is swollen and protruding, and the washing was clearly very painful for the poor kitty because he meowed very loudly and looked like he is in pain. After I carefully washed it, I noticed poo traces on the floor. He was probably dragging his butt all over the floor. I made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow but I am very worried and cannot calm down. What kind of issue may he have and is it dangerous for such a little baby? I heard about anal gland problems, but I am not sure if this is a blocked anal gland. The other day I also noticed that he was chewing on a piece of litter before using the litterbox. I took it out of his mouth immediately, but now I am thinking what if he secretly ate some cat litter and is now sick? It's a low chance he would do this, he also looks quite healthy and happy otherwise, but his butthole is protruding and he is dragging his butt, which is very scary. Did anyone have a similar issue? I would be thankful for any information about this.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That probably was a scary link, but it does need treatment as soon as possible. But what I know about it I've only learned here.
Here's some other information:

You may be tempted, as gross as it seems, to try and gently push the tissue back in. Resist this urge. You could cause more damage and it won't solve the problem. Since rectal prolapse is always caused by another issue, the underlying cause must be identified and treated before the prolapse itself is dealt with. Your vet performs various tests to identify the hidden cause to develop a treatment plan based on the findings. De-wormer kills any intestinal parasites, while antibiotics help heal urinary tract infections. Once the cause is tended to, the prolapse is corrected through gentle massage back into place or through surgery. In some cases, your kitten may require a few stitches to prevent the tissue from making another unexpected appearance while he uses the litter box.

Of course, that is if this is what it is. But it seems likely. Your vet will sort things out. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That probably was a scary link, but it does need treatment as soon as possible. But what I know about it I've only learned here.
Here's some other information:

You may be tempted, as gross as it seems, to try and gently push the tissue back in. Resist this urge. You could cause more damage and it won't solve the problem. Since rectal prolapse is always caused by another issue, the underlying cause must be identified and treated before the prolapse itself is dealt with. Your vet performs various tests to identify the hidden cause to develop a treatment plan based on the findings. De-wormer kills any intestinal parasites, while antibiotics help heal urinary tract infections. Once the cause is tended to, the prolapse is corrected through gentle massage back into place or through surgery. In some cases, your kitten may require a few stitches to prevent the tissue from making another unexpected appearance while he uses the litter box.

[/URL]

Of course, that is if this is what it is. But it seems likely. Your vet will sort things out. :)
Thanks for your reply. Oh God, I really hope it's not prolapse. Because nothing is coming out of his anus, it's just a bit red and swollen. I'll let you know what the vet says.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be swollen because of constipation. That happens pretty often. encourage drinking and ask the vet about getting some human infant suppositories and shaving off a little sliver and inserting it into the anus, it works well. Also about mixing about a teaspoon full of plain pureed pumpkin in his food, it is a fiber. I really don't think it is a prolapse. I have seen those and when you do there is really no doubt. it is a large piece of intestine looking material hanging out. Swollen usually means just that, painful and pushed out from constipation.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. Oh God, I really hope it's not prolapse. Because nothing is coming out of his anus, it's just a bit red and swollen. I'll let you know what the vet says.
Oh that really doesn't sound anywhere near as bad. :)
Di and Bob knows a lot more than I do about such things too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can apply coconut or olive oil to his bottom to give him some relief. Both are non-toxic and will do no harm if he licks them.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be swollen because of constipation. That happens pretty often. encourage drinking and ask the vet about getting some human infant suppositories and shaving off a little sliver and inserting it into the anus, it works well. Also about mixing about a teaspoon full of plain pureed pumpkin in his food, it is a fiber. I really don't think it is a prolapse. I have seen those and when you do there is really no doubt. it is a large piece of intestine looking material hanging out. Swollen usually means just that, painful and pushed out from constipation.
Thanks for your reply. I've never seen a prolapse before, but I googled photos and I believe I would definitely know if there is one. His anus looks just swollen. I will check with the vet today. Is it usually the case that kittens have constipation or diarrhea more often than adult cats?

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can apply coconut or olive oil to his bottom to give him some relief. Both are non-toxic and will do no harm if he licks them.
Thank you. Does it help to relieve the pain or to help constipation if there is one?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will soothe the rawness on his bottom. If you think he is constipated try mixing a few drops of olive oil into his wet food. Olive oil helps loosen the poop. Also, canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) aids constipation and you can mix a teaspoon into his food.

What does the vet say?

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It will soothe the rawness on his bottom. If you think he is constipated try mixing a few drops of olive oil into his wet food. Olive oil helps loosen the poop. Also, canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) aids constipation and you can mix a teaspoon into his food.

What does the vet say?
Perfect, thanks for the info. I am going to the vet this afternoon, will let you know then.

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
6 weeks old is too young to be away from mom. Many kittens will have trouble with constipation or diarrhea. If he hasn't been dewormed then it is time to do so. If it is swollen from diarrhea then you can do butt baths (no soap) under warm water from the faucet a few times daily. If it is constipation caused then you might want to try feeding him wet food as it gives more moisture, which is necessary for a young kitten who would still be nursing from mom a bit at this age.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
6 weeks old is too young to be away from mom. Many kittens will have trouble with constipation or diarrhea. If he hasn't been dewormed then it is time to do so. If it is swollen from diarrhea then you can do butt baths (no soap) under warm water from the faucet a few times daily. If it is constipation caused then you might want to try feeding him wet food as it gives more moisture, which is necessary for a young kitten who would still be nursing from mom a bit at this age.
He is with his mum still nursing from her, but also eating cat food. I will deworm him today. Not sure if it was constipation or diarrhea to be honest. His fur was dirty like from diarrhea, but he was dragging on the floor and also having clumps in his fur as if it was a constipation.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you make it to the vet? What did the vet say?
He said it's just an anus irritation because the baby boy is new to cat food and his digestive system is getting used to it. He advised to keep the kitten's diet consistent and to monitor if he has diarrhea or constipation for more than 24 hours. I am so relieved now. Thanks God it's not prolapse. It looks much better today as well, I wouldn't even notice it today. Probably he had a stomach issue yesterday and that's where the irritation came from.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s a relief! :)
It is! He is fine now, and it doesn't look like he has diarrhoea or constipation today, however he keeps dragging his butt on the ground and I have poo traces all over my house :( I guess it’s a behavioural problem as well. Is there a way to teach a little kitten to not do this? He uses the litter box but for some reason drags his butt too. Or maybe he does have some issue? There were quite many poo traces on the floor :(

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
You might need to give him time.
Are you doing the olive or coconut oil thing that Sarthur2 suggested?
Once again.. I don't have experience - most of the people who do are currently fast asleep. :)