Kitten has a soft stools issue?

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As the title says, my new kitten has been having issues with soft stools ever since I got him two weeks ago. He’s a 12 week old Ragdoll Kitten, very cuddly and playful.

His breeder was feeding him Purina Friskies Pate, which is a brand I don’t go crazy for. I slowly introduced him to Tiki Cat (Born Carnivore Kitten Dry Food and the velvet mousse as wet food). He loves it and eats everything, fortunately he doesn’t seem to be a very picky eater.

According to his breeder he didn’t have soft stools before, however to me he seemed to have this issue even before I switched him over to Tiki Cat (for the first couple of days I only fed him Purina Friskies as recommended by his breeder). The only thing is that maybe he wasn’t going to his litter as frequently (he goes around 4/5 times a day).

We brought him to the vet twice and did a fecal exam twice, it came back negative however yesterday they wanted to try to treat him for Coccidia anyway (also recommended by the breeder). He has been on Proviable since last Thursday as well, and yesterday his poop was really liquid (I gave him pumpkin, maybe too much, and I don’t know if that’s why he got a bad episode of diarrhea). I was disappointed as his poop seemed to be improving.

Both vets I talked to believe Tiki Cat is not the issue and he was probably just stressed (had to fly him over here) and maybe still adjusting to the new food.

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice?

Thank you so much!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do think that stress and the diet change are factors, but not saying that these are not the only reasons for the soft stool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How's the treatment for Coccidia going?
We just started it this morning, his diarrhea seems to be better today (yesterday afternoon and evening it was very watery). It’s still a bit liquid, but not as much as yesterday indeed. I’m just tired because every time he poops he gets dirty and I have to clean him, he doesn’t like it and it’s annoying for the both of us. The vet recommended including very little boiled rice to his wet food, and I tried today so we’ll see how it goes. I just hope this issue will be solved as soon as possible. Do you think Tiki Cat could be the problem? Or maybe the fact I gave him a bit too much pumpkin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do think that stress and the diet change are factors, but not saying that these are not the only reasons for the soft stool.
I really don’t want to reintroduce Friskies, but do you think I should? I feel I’m running out of options unfortunately

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Friskies is a very standard brand of cat food that has served generations of cats well, so it is probably not the worst idea. I don't feed it to my indoor pets, but do to outdoor ferals and no one has been worse for it.