kitten got worst

cathyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I wrote in last month on the 20th and said my kitten was diagnoised with Cerebellar Hypoplasia. We decided that we would give him the special care he needed and keep him indoors. His walking got worst last week and he quit eating. Wouldn't even eat baby food. He even had a seizure. I took him to a different vet and they didn't know what was wrong with him. Said he was running fever and his white blood count was too high. Said the sudden rise in his fever probably caused the seizure. They kept him 2 days and then sent him home with an antibiotic and eye ointment. He had a detached retina in one eye and the other one watered continually. He was better for a day or two but then quit eating again. Acted like he could hardly swallow and was very weak. Yesterday he was too weak to even try and walk. Had a bad seizure about 9 last night. I called the vet and he said he was suffering and we had him put to sleep. The vet said he must have had a degenerating brain disease and this caused all his problems. Has anyone heard of this? I'd like to read about it. He had a name for it and it started with a P. I was so upset that I didn't get him to write it down. Will call him today and find out. I hope I did the right thing. This is the first time I've ever had to put anything to sleep. I just couldn't stand to see him sick anymore. We worked with him for about 5 months. He was still the size of about an 8 week old kitten. Thanks for listening.
Cathy

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cathy,

I am so sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing, you really did. Seizures are bad for animals to deal with, causing strain on their brain as well as their internal organs.

I had a sweet sweet feral by the name of Bacardi. She was a siamese mix with wonderful raccoon-like markings and the sweetest kitty once she was socialized. She started acting odd when she got to be about 3 years old. Her skin would ripple if we even looked in her direction, she would bite us if we tried to pet her, she would race around the house of the yard in endless circles till she dropped and she would cry all the time. I took her to three vets and no one had a clue, so I started doing research on the Internet and found her symptoms in Feline Hyperesthesia. I took all the information I could find and brought it to the vet. He put her on medication that after about 2 weeks of taking it triggered spasms and seizures.
I loved this little girl with all my heart but we decided to end her pain and had her put down.

It is always hard to consider the welfare of the cats, but it is always the best thing to do. Releasing your kitten means that his pain now becomes yours. But please know, no matter how badly it hurt, you did the right thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cathyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for writing and for the words of encouragment. I know I will feel better about this in time. Right now it's so hard because this baby slept with us every night for about 4 months. I would get up around 3 or 4 whenever he woke up and try to get him to eat. He was just like my child. Thanks again.
Cathy

jason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry.
I went thru a similar situtaion week before last. It's tough but you did the right thing.

cathyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Thank you Jason. Sorry you had to go through it when you did.
Cathy

7cozycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm so sorry. so many of us here, can relate to the pain you are going through.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. I recently lost my big baby to feline leukemia. It felt like the hardest decision I ever had to make. I hope some day you may be able to bring yourself to share your life with another furbaby who needs a loving home. Once again, I am very sorry for your loss.

cathyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Thank you all for writing. I do have an older cat that's nearly 13 years old. Losing the kitten was hard. I don't know what I'll do when her time comes. She's very active and healthy so hopefully that's a long time away.
Cathy

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry to hear about your kitten. I know the decision is a tough one to make.

Try not to focus on what may or may not happen with your older cat. From the sounds of things she's happy and she knows she's loved. Enjoy the time you have with her without worrying about the end.

cathyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Thanks for the kind words. My older cat has sure been showing me extra attention over the last few days. Strange how they know when we need comforting. She usually sleeps with my son but slept with me last night.
Cathy