Kitten got ran over by a jerk lady what to do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As i made My nightly round to feed the colony my other neighbor flagged me down. Said a lady reversed and hit this little guy. He’s eating fine but one of his hind leg is tender to touch and he defecate on himself. He said he cant afford to take it to the vet so I said ill take him. Then i realized ,i too , dont have that much $ either being that i spent a sizeable portion of my income to take care of the strays.
Gave the poor guy a sponge bath and some wetfood. I do t think anything is broken but cant be 100% sure. My vet usually offered me a 10% discount for the colony but that’s not a whole lot but at least it’s something. What am i to do guys?
90F810E7-393B-41C7-B930-3517A95493F9.jpeg
9A574356-2C4C-40BA-A376-5D6D540DD654.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reversed and hit it by accident or on purpose? Get the little guy checked if at all possible. Defecating on himself could just have been terror but if she hit any vital organs, that could be the issue. Keep close watch on him. Watch his pupils and his litter box. Does the woman know she hit him? Would she care? Maybe you could let her know and she if she will help. Any hit by a car could be reason enough for an emergency check. Immediately. A vet can feel the belly and bones for any signs of injury. Any scrapes anywhere? Watch for elevated temperature and anal bleeding. I am hoping it was just a tap and will not result in anything more than a scare. Poor little one! Such a sweet little face. I don’t know if you can keep this baby inside but he certainly looks social enough to be a permanent rescue. I send you , your friendly neighbor and the kitties all the love and healing purrs we can find. Thank you for all that is being done there to help those kitties. If there are any feral or rescue groups in your area, this would be a good time to appeal to them for help. Please do keep us updated on this baby. On all.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Is your neighbor positive he was actually hit or that the car made contact? How is he walking/acting? Can you take a video of him moving around and post it?

Are you located in the US? If so, is CareCredit an option for you?

Try locating a low cost clinic and explain your situation. At the least, they may be willing to work out a payment plan for you.

Another option would be surrendering him to a rescue or otherwise securing financial backing or rescue sponsorship for the kitten that would take care of the vet bills and help to find him a home.

If you’re actually willing to foster him while they do this, your odds of a rescue helping out will go up substantially - the only thing rescues are in need of more than money is fosters.

You could also try and crowd fund through social media. Either with a site like gofundme, OR see if your/a clinic will accept donations by phone.

He looks good and alert, which is promising. But he needs to be evaluated ASAP, as there could be all sorts of internal injuries going on and/or he could be in pain.

This is what I would personally do if I were you -

I would start by first applying to CareCredit (if you’re able to).

Then, call around to every clinic you can (including ER’s!) - be sure to explicitly explain that you are simply a Good Samaritan and that you do not own this kitten.

Ask each clinic these questions -

- Would you accept a payment plan for a situation like this?

- Do you accept CareCredit?

- Would you accept donations by phone for the kitten’s care?

- What diagnostics might be required to check for injury? Can I get a general quote?

- If not, do you offer free consultations? (For a more precise quote)

- Do you know of any other resources, rescues, clinics/vets, or financial aid options that might be able to help me get this kitten the care he needs?

Make a list and write down the name of every clinic and their answers to each question, so that you can keep track and know what options are available to you.

Be persistent about receiving answers. If the receptionist doesn’t know, request to speak to someone who does!

Also contact any rescue or shelter that you can. Again, if you’re willing to foster the kitten, tell them that, and they’ll be more likely to sponsor him so you can get him to the vet.

If you can’t immediately find a rescue or individual to cover the costs, then the next best thing is to find a vet clinic that will work on a payment plan with you (where you can afford at least the first payment) or will accept donations by phone. Or a clinic that accepts CareCredit, assuming you have access to that and can get approved quickly.

That way, you can take the little guy to the vet now, while buying time to fundraise donations or secure rescue backing to go toward paying off the installments to the clinic or CareCredit, or that can be phoned in directly to the vets office.

It’s very important that he be evaluated as soon as possible, so start contacting whoever you can by phone or email literally right now. Hopefully they’ll get back to you in the morning (well, depending on where you are!), but be prepared to actively follow up yourself first thing tomorrow. Again, persistence is key!

I know how hard it is financially and otherwise to take care of these guys. No matter what happens, this little kitten is so lucky to have you (and your neighbor!) looking out for him and the other cats.

I really hope that lady did not intentionally try to hit this poor little guy. :( If so, I hope your neighbor can file a report with a description of the driver and her vehicle, and keep an eye out for it in the future and try to get a plate number and photo to give to authorities!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What should i watch for with his pu

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What should i watch for in his pupils? The lady took off according to my neighbor or at least that what it sounded like because he speaks broken English and i couldnt really understand everything he said. He feed the strays every nite too or at least the ones in front of his house. Good guy all around.

He was walking a few wobblyly steps earlier but now just laying in one spot. He’s alert though and tried to hiss at me everytime i picked him up. Idk why im not able to post a video. It doesnt show up in my phone gallery.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hissing may be sign of pain as in, 'don't touch me'. Please try to get him asap to a vet. Explain his condition & I can't imagine a vet won't help him. It is almost neglect if they refuse as far as I know. Please get him to the vet tho, as no one here can eval him over a pc. TY for saving him & taking him in. Please keep him warm. I don't know if cats go into shock but it is another possibility we don't want to occur.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Nick had 1/3 of his tail degloved he hid. I trapped him in the bathroom for an hour (so someone with a car could come home) during which his pupils were dilated, he was pacing, he threw up & pooped on the floor while pacing. All signs of ETREME pain! Nick is fine but he did loose half his tail!

When Sarah got hit by a car she hid and wouldn’t lift her tail. She was dragging her tail everywhere but appeared normal. 2 layers she is rushed to the vet where they shave, c-ray her & express her bladder that was 3-4 times the regular size!!!!! We found out she had been hit by a car, her privates & tail were paralyzed & she was bruised awfully all over her hips!!!

This is why I said you need to get him to the vet NOW!!! The very latest you want to go, is when they open first thing in the morning. It is an emergency & may kill him if you wait a few days!

I hope he makes it!
600921EF-D91E-4C5F-BAD8-6C2E3B8A91C8.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can go into shock from injury. If his pupils become so they do not respond properly to light it could indicate that he also got a concussion. Are there any emergency vets there? Calling one doesn’t cost anything! Call. Many are open when other vets are closed. If you an just tell them your neighbor saw a kitten get hurt and you just want to be sure it is okay, they may give an evaluation. I often find someone open and then just go. When I get there with a precious baby, they find it hard to turn me away. I have never been turned away. When you get someone willing to look at him you can work out the rest. If shock sets in, things become more difficult for the kitten. Hissing is fear or pain and if he is not running away, and is feral, he is hurt.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: He’s alert still and drinking on his own. Gonna take him in first thing in the morning. Last time i brought in a stray dog my vet didnt give me much of a discount. His prices arent too bad like other vets where they gouge you for every pennies you have. Hope the bill isnt in the hundreds or else im toast. Will keep you guys posted. Thank you all!

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad he will be checked out and I hope the vet will be helpful financially. The ideas about setting up a fund for the kitten are very good ones. That kitten deserves a chance and to be without fear or pain. I’m glad he took some water.
I don’t know if a vet would approve this but with my own kitties, if they seemed to be fading out on me, I put a tiny bit of honey on their gum to try and revive them. It seemed to buy me some time. I hope you won’t need to do that but when you are with the vet, you might ask if that would be good in future emergencies.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My smoke alarm oddly went off early this morning and i totally forgot about taking the kitten to the vet. By the time i got around to check hes up and eating dry good...Yay!!!!!!! Thank you everyone!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
My smoke alarm oddly went off early this morning and i totally forgot about taking the kitten to the vet. By the time i got around to check hes up and eating dry good...Yay!!!!!!! Thank you everyone!

....and he could succumb to his injuries days later- that happen to an injured kitten that I took in some years ago. Please have him checked out by a vet.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, but unfortunately he may be hiding pain or injuries. There's no doubt a vet NEEDS see him asap. Time is of the essence, I'm afraid. If he is in pain it'll take a toll on him & maybe his life. Please still take him to a vet asap, if anyway possible.

His eyes in the 1st pic yesterday show saucer-sized eyes. I'm no vet but he looks startled or stunned in some way. Obviously, not a good sign of things. He really needs a vet to check him.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, how is he doing? Were you able to consult with a vet later? Cats are masters at disguising injuries and pain so my concerns for him remain. Have you checked his litter box for any blood. Is he still hissing? Any, trying to hide? A normal feral kitten would still be scared. Any bloating of his belly and do his ears feel warm? I don’t know where you live or if there are any rescue groups that might be willing to take him to help out. Many of our members could help provide that information if you are in an area they are familiar with. TCS is worldwide.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His ears are Room temp. Belly is not bloated but a bit round. No blood in his stool and he stopped defecating on himself. No more hissing but a little whinny. I asked why xray isnt needed and the vet said when he pressed all over him he didnt react in pain. Bill still came out with the 10% discount. Not sure if i should be happy or not about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.