Kitten going to litter box more often and not peeing much?

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning before work I noticed my 8 month old spayed kitten going to the litter box more often. I was only home for like 30 min before I left for work but she squatted for a little longer than usual and I noticed she only peed a few drops.

she went to the box a couple times in 30 min which is weird for her. She’s a young cat and she drinks lots of water so I don’t think she is blocked or has crystals but I’m not too familiar with this subject? I’m going to see how she’s doing when I get home of course but if she’s still struggling what should I do? I saw some OTC stuff from petsmart that had good reviews for UTIs? Kinda thinking if she has anything that’s probably what it is? What do y’all think?

i haven’t changed her diet or anything. The only thing I can think of is I let her out on my balcony for like 2 minutes (which I usually don’t do) and let her roll around on the concrete. I don’t think she ate anything.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you suspect a UTI, it is better if you go to the vet. OTC products may or may not work. Some can be used for preventatives once you get the issue under control, but will not work to cure an existing condition.

Sadiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s best to have the vet check her out for ut/blockage. That’s how it starts and can be life threatening if not treated

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like a bladder infection. Indy just had one and they gave her a shot of convenia. She was better in a week.

Bladder infection is very uncomfortable and can also cause sleep deprivation or at least it did for Indy and she became crabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does sound like a bladder infection. Indy just had one and they gave her a shot of convenia. She was better in a week.

Bladder infection is very uncomfortable and can also cause sleep deprivation or at least it did for Indy and she became crabby.
This is exactly what happened! I took her to the vet yesterday afternoon and they gave a shot of convenia. She said it would take 3-5 days to work but I wish it’d work right now :(. I hate seeing her going to the box every 10 minutes

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy's took a good day to kick in. The best thing you can do now is let your cat sleep. I also added a bit of water to Indy's canned food to help flush out the infection.

If you don't see improvement in the next few days the infection may be resistant to the convenia in which case, you'llhave to take your cat back for a sterile urinalysis to pinpoint the bacteria. I've never had this happen though, I was just told that was the next step if Indy didn't get better.