kitten getting spayed tomorrow, very nervous !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamie_02

1 kitty ; 1 year old cat named quinn <3
Young Cat
Purraise
Incision looks really good. More like a deep scratch than a spay incision.

See how well it went. And you were so worried...
i know, i’m so glad it all went well haha, onwards and upwards now, i can’t wait til she’s running around the house again like the mad kitten she is :lol:

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
070F99D8-FF77-4AB9-9C6F-7DF0ACA5F934.jpeg

pic of her incision from today !! day 4, she has her last lot of painkillers tomorrow morning, and a phone call with the vet on day 6, then has her post op appointment on day 10, i’m honestly shocked at how neat it is, the vet seemed to have done a wonderful job, it’s pretty hard to get a good pic of her incision as its a flank spay and when she’s sat her fluffy fur keeps getting in the way so getting pics involves treats and coercion :lol: she’s started doing some light play and she’s enjoying it a lot, she’s sleeping well, eating well, using her litter tray and drinking good too but she does keep trying to lick it, i’m almost 100% sure she can’t reach it as the cone covers it i think but she keeps licking her bald patch as its quite a large shaved patch, will this be due to the itchiness of it healing ?? i know when i’ve had any type of wound its so itchy when healing so i’m assuming that’s what it is :lol::hearthrob:

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
2DC29888-5CCB-4BCA-AAE7-C4383841C19F.jpeg

today’s pic, day 5 post op !! i can’t wait until her vet appointment on monday, hoping she’ll get the all clear to go back to normal lol, she has a phone appointment tomorrow too to check if she needs more pain meds prescribed, if i’m correct it looks like its started scabbing over now which is great :hearthrob:

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
thought i’d share some pics of her here because how could i not :lol::hearthrob:
F0AC9800-764F-4174-8326-4A395E651B75.jpeg
07477258-0309-4FB9-BA5E-FC282B2F6DB0.jpeg

and this one of her mid yawn because it made me laugh :lol:
F4B57FBA-28FE-4AE1-A53C-FCCDBB541449.jpeg

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like a cat head on a plate! ;)

She doesn't seem very troubled by the collar. Mine would have torn it to shreds by now.
she hated it when we first put it on, was even bunny kicking it which obviously wasn’t ideal as she was about 6 hours post op lol but she seems to have accepted it now, the body suit was worse, according to the vets she acted like she couldn’t walk and then got it off the second we got in the house !! hadn’t even gotten out of the carrier and already she was out of it :lol: i thought she’d have hated the collar a lot more than the bodysuit as she’s hated any normal collar we’ve tried to put on her but honestly she seems to be using it as a pillow when she’s asleep lmao, she’s a tad bit annoyed she can’t groom herself or give her neck an itch but otherwise she’s accepted it shockingly well, maybe she’ll let us put one of her collars on after this :lol::hearthrob:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she hated it when we first put it on, was even bunny kicking it which obviously wasn’t ideal as she was about 6 hours post op lol but she seems to have accepted it now, the body suit was worse, according to the vets she acted like she couldn’t walk and then got it off the second we got in the house !! hadn’t even gotten out of the carrier and already she was out of it :lol: i thought she’d have hated the collar a lot more than the bodysuit as she’s hated any normal collar we’ve tried to put on her but honestly she seems to be using it as a pillow when she’s asleep lmao, she’s a tad bit annoyed she can’t groom herself or give her neck an itch but otherwise she’s accepted it shockingly well, maybe she’ll let us put one of her collars on after this :lol::hearthrob:
When tight-fitting garments are put on a cat, they activate the scruffing reflex. Sometimes cats can't walk when that happens. Look on YouTube for videos of cats in Thunder Shirts. They fall over or act drunk.

Mine don't fall over when the Thunder Shirt is put on, but they do have some trouble walking. I got it to calm them when going to the vet, but it didn't do much good (all I had were wobbly, upset cats). I don't use it any more.

Last edited:

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
When tight-fitting garments are put on a cat, they activate the scruffing reflex. Sometimes cats can't walk when that happens. Look on YouTube for videos of cats in Thunder Shirts. They fall over or act drunk.

Mine don't fall over when the Thunder Shirt is put on, but they do have some trouble walking. I got it to calm them when going to the vet, but it didn't do much good. I don't use it any more.
i didn’t know that !! that’s super interesting actually, she looked very cute in it but it just wasn’t practical for her :lol:

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
9141F19C-3216-4D1E-8384-386B5B69CF6F.jpeg
today’s pic !! so, we sent yesterday’s photo to the nurse last night and they got back to us this morning, they want her to come in and see a nurse because of the yellow crust surrounding it, they said to not worry and that they just want to get it checked over in person, she had a slightly soft poo about 20 mins ago but we can’t think of anything that would have caused it, she’s finished her pain meds so it can’t be that, so we’re going to the vets at 5:30 to get it all double checked, hoping everything is okay, i’m so nervous lol, i can’t wait until she’s better, otherwise she’s been acting completely normal, eating fine, drinking fine, wanting to play, sleeping okay, i just hope its not infected :ohwell::hearthrob:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't look infected to me, its most probably the glue used to seal the wound but its good that your vet wants to double check. The soft stools could be from the pain meds as her tummy isnt used to it

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look infected to me, its most probably the glue used to seal the wound but its good that your vet wants to double check. The soft stools could be from the pain meds as her tummy isnt used to it
she’s just come home and she’s fine lol, glad she got checked by the vets though as they said how well it was healing, they checked it wasn’t oozing or anything and its all perfectly fine, the nurse even gave her some cuddles lol, she seems to hate her carrier now though, it took us like 20 minutes to get her in as she was swatting it and freaking out, we’re gonna get a new one anyways as its a soft carrier and its just not very useful as she gets bigger as shes heavier than when she was a tiny kitten and its just hard to carry lol, so maybe she won’t hate the new one too much :lol: :hearthrob:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad she's fine, she's soon be running around non stop again. When you get the new carrier, leave it open on the floor for a while for her to get used to it, maybe put a few treats in it, catnip, her favourite toy and she can get used to it by going in and out at her leisure and not be afraid of it.

jamie_02

Young Cat
Purraise
so today she got written off by the vet and is now allowed back to normal !! cone off and allowed to do whatever she wants and she was so excited, first thing she did was have a scratch at her neck and clean her chest lol and then she darted up and down the stairs :lol: she’s back to her usual mischief lol, thank you for all the advice and support during the past ten days, it was all super useful !! :lol: :hearthrob: