Kitten Freaks Over Cone of Shame

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spayed today. We put the cone tight, but she went nuts and got it off twice. What to do?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Watch her and see if she licks at the incision obsessively. She will a bit to get the smell off of it. I didn't put a cone on Alice and she was fine. The vet said to put it on her if she started licking the incision obsessively.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thats good to hear. She was so vigorous and twisty about getting it off, I think I have to try coneless. She did lick it some, so we put her back in the carrier. Vet suggested leaving her in the carrier till 8 pm anyways.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cone may be too big for her. I usually put a cat collar or a ribbon though the plastic loops and tie. This way it won’t come off and my cat would get tired of struggling and live with it.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great idea! I was looking at those type of options on Amazon. So far she is licking a bit, but not excessively and the wound seems fine.
Doing real well, except bored out of her mind in the safe room. I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep her in the safe room. She does play quite vigorous with the 4 year old, but they never force the other to play or cause squealing by being excessive. I guess I should do at least a week, especially if no cone.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl didn’t have a cone at all, I don’t think it’s that common in Europe to place a cone/onesie after the spay/neuter... I was told she will clean the incision and that’s ok, as long as she doesn’t pull the stitches. Luckily, after cleaning it, she was no longer interested in it at all.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. Your guidance coupled with the fact that the incision looks ok is keeping me calm.

Now if I can just find a way to entertain her in her safe room, she is really bored and lonely. But if I let her out, she *will* play with the 4 year old. Granted, for like 20-30 minutes a day, and he is nice to the kitten, but its still vigorous, so I have to wait for that, right?

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They make SOFT CONES made of fabric that are MUCH more comfortable.

I have no idea why vets still use those hard plastic ones. My cats absolutely freak when they wear them. Take the cone off and just try and watch her if you can. I had a cat spayed once and after a few days she was biting and pulling on her stitches. Use a soft cone if you can.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep you will have to wait at least until she has had a few days to heal especially if they play rough. Your older cat might hurt her without meaning to. I'd try the body suit or soft cone but like others have said she might not need it. When you do let her play try to make sure they are not to rough.

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, when we had our kitten spayed we put her in a cat recovery suit. We ordered it from Chewy. they still have them. You can search for it by putting in Cat Recovery Suit or Recovery Suit for Cats. The one we got was the camo pattern. I forgot what size. It's around $25 but it's worth it. It was a little tight under her arms but we took scissors and snipped a few notches to loosen it up, we also snipped a little around the neck. That suit was a blessing! She didn't even get it dirty going potty, it's designed well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We let them interact a bit and the older cat has some non-recognition going on, so there is no danger they will be playing right away. I actually threw away her towel like a dummy so I don't have anything to rescent her, but the older one will get over it soon enough. He never does more than hiss at any cat. But kitten was running up and down the stairs and such, so I put her back in the safe room.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about something like this. Kitty City Large Cat Tunnel Bed, Cat Bed, Pop Up bed, Cat Toys, Christmas Tree after a few days. Nothing really interactive. Otherwise what about a new pet bed.