Kitten frantically cries before a bowel movement?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted a foster that I had since 10 days old and he's 9 weeks old but still frantically cries before he poops. He will switch litter boxes and dig and dig and dig while crying. Then begin and not like where his spot is so he will cry and move around. He's not constipated, quite the opposite. I give him pumpkin and proviable daily. Pumpkin in a couple of his meals. He had a good poop earlier but he was crying frantically again. It seems to come out just fine and it doesnt take him a long time. Could he just be dramatic? He is a very vocal cat always chirping and purring and talking. In the car hes a nightmare. His littermates were silent peaceful little car buddies while he was screaming his head off 🙈

I've cared for many cats as I used to work at a cat vet for years but I've only ever had a few kittens in my life that I raised and I remember their clumsy stage of stepping in waste and some crying in the box but not as bad as my new kitten.

He only eats wet food as well. And I water it down. If his diarrhea gets too bad I use some rx clay

I provided a stool sample to the shelter because all the kittens got bad diarrhea and they didnt say anything

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are just loud about announcing they have used the box. As long as your vet has given him a health clearance it's probably just a quirk of his and hopefully will grow out of it. Do be sure, however, that he's been tested for parasites and such to make sure he is not experiencing any pain from that or any other underlying issue. I do wonder why he's having diarrhea - that's not normal which is why i'm mentioning parasites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just loud about announcing they have used the box. As long as your vet has given him a health clearance it's probably just a quirk of his and hopefully will grow out of it. Do be sure, however, that he's been tested for parasites and such to make sure he is not experiencing any pain from that or any other underlying issue. I do wonder why he's having diarrhea - that's not normal which is why i'm mentioning parasites.
Well it happened after they got vaccines at 4 weeks old :( I'm not giving him any ever again I'm not sure if he had 2 or 3 fvrcp vaccines so far at 9 weeks. It's ridiculous. I'm not sure what they tested his stool for but I did provide a sample from the litter... and they never said anything. I think he should have another check up with a vet and not just the shelter vet. He has been dewormed several times as well

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't want to mention the diarrhea really because I know the vet will want him on metronidazole and I wont be doing that! They always overload with unnecessary antibiotics and steroids. I wouldnt be surprised if they offered a steroid too for diarrhea

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't want to mention the diarrhea really because I know the vet will want him on metronidazole and I wont be doing that! They always overload with unnecessary antibiotics and steroids. I wouldnt be surprised if they offered a steroid too for diarrhea
I understand your hesitancy but it's not good animal husbandry to allow them to be ill. It does your cat no good not to be honest with your vet.
There are other treatments and you could see a holistic practitioner if that's more your style.
However, antibiotics are called for in many instances. And fyi, none of my cats ever had to get a steroid injection for loose stools. Perhaps adding a probiotic to the diet might help with that?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand your hesitancy but it's not good animal husbandry to allow them to be ill. It does your cat no good not to be honest with your vet.
There are other treatments and you could see a holistic practitioner if that's more your style.
However, antibiotics are called for in many instances. And fyi, none of my cats ever had to get a steroid injection for loose stools. Perhaps adding a probiotic to the diet might help with that?

I worked with cats for many years at a cat only practice and sadly if a cat had diarrhea they would usually give metronidazole before even stool sampling or suggesting changing foods. If the metro didnt work they would usually just diagnose ibd and give them a low dose of steroids. So its hard to trust vets 🤣
I put in the post he's on probiotics and pumpkin. He isnt having it all day like him and the litter were when I'd contact the foster department. He goes usually 2 or 3 times a day and for the most part I've gotten them more solid I was just concerned about the crying out. it's unfortunate because it seems like every kitten I've gotten had severe diarrhea issues the day of adopting