Kitten food.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s been a long time since I have had a kitten in my house. Any suggestions on what kind of food to feed her. She’s going to be 9 or 10 weeks old when I bring her home

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally fed a combination of Tiki cat kitten (wet) and homemade raw food for Goose. We also took him home at 9 weeks, which IMO is a bit too young. Anyway, since there's an overwhelming amount of options, why not try catfooddb? Before switching to homemade food I used it numerous times to find the best food in my price range.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as she’s not still nursing off of her momma and is eating food, my vet says it’s safe to bring her home. Thanks for your advice on the food.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as she’s not still nursing off of her momma and is eating food, my vet says it’s safe to bring her home. Thanks for your advice on the food.
No problem. For us, I just noticed Goose was still trying to wean. We adopted him from the pound and they said he was good to go at 9 weeks, but after bringing him home he was constantly trying to suckle on my own breasts and arms. It's very possible that this is all just anecdotal evidence, but I personally believe the 12 week mark is probably best based on other kitten developmental studies. While most kittens can survive on their own at that age they may not have fully learned all of the traits they need from their mamma. Often there can be deficits in compatibility with other cats, grooming, litter-box use, playtime, etc. Either way, congrats on your new baby! Can't wait to see pictures :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been a long time since I have had a kitten in my house. Any suggestions on what kind of food to feed her. She’s going to be 9 or 10 weeks old when I bring her home
Cat and kitten food is pretty much the same in terms of protein,fat,carbs. My adult cats eat kitten food! Only difference is kittens need more. When my cat was 5 weeks old she was fed canned wellness core chicken. Now my 3 cats eat a wide variety of brands. No fish or carrageenan

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No problem. For us, I just noticed Goose was still trying to wean. We adopted him from the pound and they said he was good to go at 9 weeks, but after bringing him home he was constantly trying to suckle on my own breasts and arms. It's very possible that this is all just anecdotal evidence, but I personally believe the 12 week mark is probably best based on other kitten developmental studies. While most kittens can survive on their own at that age they may not have fully learned all of the traits they need from their mamma. Often there can be deficits in compatibility with other cats, grooming, litter-box use, playtime, etc. Either way, congrats on your new baby! Can't wait to see pictures :)
I have a few pictures of her with the thread titled :New Kitten.
I have also picked her name. I want to call her Sunshine but knowing my husband he will think of something witty and it will stick lol EF4B4A25-5594-4DCE-9304-694ECAA693E1.jpeg EF4B4A25-5594-4DCE-9304-694ECAA693E1.jpeg BB99F1E3-EB08-456A-B192-8BA3C7CE2ADF.jpeg 4AE6E1E9-4E85-4127-904A-DC3F3DC5D8E2.jpeg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
At this age, she can start eating wet food. Best is to feed her wet food meant for kittens as this food is packed with extra nutrients and proteins to help nurture the growing process of the kitten. And on top of that, wet food keeps her hydrated. For normal kittens breed, they mature at one year old. And from there onwards, you can slowly transit her to adult's food. Or, on the other hand, feed her wet food that is labeled 'Foe All Life Stages'. This way, you don't have to transit her over to adult's food. My boy was on food labeled 'For All Life Stages the very first day he was rescued at 3 weeks old till now and he's coming to be 6 years old in 4 months time.

Even malnourished adult cats can eat food meant for kittens to supplement their loss of nutrients due to sickness. If you can, feed your baby with food meant for kittens in her growing year or go with food labeled 'For All Life Stages'.

Just remember to feed her as much as she can eat at one sitting and feed 4 - 5 times day. You can never overfeed a kitten. As the days go by, monitor her eating pattern on how much she eats at one sitting and adjust the amount accordingly.
As she is nearing 1 year old, she'll go through a period called 'Growth Spurt' where she tends to eat more than usual and this will stretch till she's around 1 1/2 year old or less. After that, her food intake will taper off and she'll eat less amount and number of times. And with this, a normal active adult indoor cat needs roughly 250 calories per day. Look for the calorie amount stated on the can. Some brands have more calories and some have less. Just go with the calories count will be easier.

A lot of times a cat goes hungry fast or ask to be fed soon after the last meal is because their calorie intake for the day is not met.

Last edited:

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At this age, she can start eating wet food. Best is to feed her wet food meant for kittens as this food is packed with extra nutrients and proteins to help nurture the growing process of the kitten. And on top of that, wet food keeps her hydrated. For normal kittens breed, they mature at one year old. And from there onwards, you can slowly transit her to adult's food. Or, on the other hand, feed her wet food that is labeled 'Foe All Life Stages'. This way, you don't have to transit her over to adult's food. My boy was on food labeled 'For All Life Stages the very first day he was rescued at 3 weeks old till now and he's coming to be 6 years old in 4 months time.

Even malnourished adult cats can eat food meant for kittens to supplement their loss of nutrients due to sickness. If you can, feed your baby with food meant for kittens in her growing year or go with food labeled 'For All Life Stages'.

Just remember to feed her as much as she can eat at one sitting and feed 4 - 5 times day. You can never overfeed a kitten. As the days go by, monitor her eating pattern on how much she eats at one sitting and adjust the amount accordingly.
As she is nearing 1 year old, she'll go through a period called 'Growth Spurt' where she tends to eat more than usual and this will stretch till she's around 1 1/2 year old or less. After that, her food intake will taper off and she'll eat less amount and number of times. And with this, a normal active adult indoor cat needs roughly 250 calories per day. Look for the calorie amount stated on the can. Some brands have more calories and some have less. Just go with the calories count will be easier.

A lot of times a cat goes hungry fast or ask to be fed soon after the last meal is because their calorie intake for the day is not met.
I will keep this in mind when I get my 7 year old cat back in the house. She’s been outside for almost 12 weeks now. We had a tom cat hanging around here spraying his territory. We caught him and took him to the animal shelter.