Kitten Food - Why Is This So Challenging

Irisinatl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two boys - aged 3.5 months have had off and on diarrhea since we adopted them. Hank was super sick but has since recovered. He had normal stools until this week and back to soft stools light brown. Dean hasn't had normal stools hardly at all but for a couple of days this past week.

We've been on metrodinazole, clavamox, we use probiotics. They've tested negative for any parasites. I'm at a loss.

I feed them Purina pro plan focus kitten food - wet (1/2 can - 4x per day) and they snack on Royal Canin Gastro (dry prescription) and Merrick's Kitten Purrfect Bistro during the day.

Am I feeling them too much wet food? I'm afraid to switch brands to actually aggravate the loose stools. I've read a ton of posts on here but the vet can't figure this out and I figured all of you experienced cat parents might have some ideas for me.

Anything ya got, I'll be happy to listen.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long ago did you adopt them? Just curious how long the diarrhea has been going on, and whether it was happening before you adopted them.

At this point, I think I would ask the vet about performing a diarrhea PCR panel which will check for viruses, bacteria, and parasites. This is much more inclusive and definitive than the basic fecal tests which only look for parasites (and, even then, some of the basic fecal tests need to be repeated, as some parasites can be missed).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all probiotics are created equally. FortiFlora, a popular one at vet offices, is junk. But cats love the taste. Proviable, another one that vets have, is better. But my favorite is Pet Flora from Vitality Science.
Pet Flora, Cat Probiotics Supplement | Vitality Science

They also have other supplements that might help with firming up their stools. And excellent customer service if you wanted to call them or email them about product suggestions. And they have sample packs so you can try it before you buy the larger sizes.

But I’ve also heard that kitten poops are just the worst for a long time until they finish growing and filling out the microbiome in their gut. I’m not sure if this true but others may be able to comment on that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Irisinatl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long ago did you adopt them? Just curious how long the diarrhea has been going on, and whether it was happening before you adopted them.

At this point, I think I would ask the vet about performing a diarrhea PCR panel which will check for viruses, bacteria, and parasites. This is much more inclusive and definitive than the basic fecal tests which only look for parasites (and, even then, some of the basic fecal tests need to be repeated, as some parasites can be missed).

I agree with you. I've got a call into the vet regarding the PCR panel

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking that the Merrick might be too rich for them. I would stick with just 1 food. I always like to feed my kittens Royal Canin Babycat wet and dry. They also need to be re-tested for worms as it often takes more than 1 or 2 treatments to completely get rid of them due to the life cycle of the worms. Also, Clavamox is really good at causing diarrhea for kitties. To help with diarrhea, use a good probiotic such as saccharomyces boullardi (a human probiotic) and Proviable DC.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been on metrodinazole, clavamox,
Missed this part! What are they taking antibiotics for? Antibiotics will soup the poops. It kills good gut bacteria as well as bad. Antibiotics and probiotics should not be combined as they will reduce the effectiveness of each other. Antibiotics should be given for a limited time frame. Not continuously. Finish the course and then start the probiotics. If it’s being given continuously ask the vet if there is a plan to stop. What’s the stop criteria?

I would talk to the vet about when the antibiotics can be stopped. At that time, you can use probiotics to reestablish the correct and appropriate colonies in their guts.

Also refrain from using pumpkin while giving antibiotics because the pumpkin fiber can absorb the antibiotics making it less available and less effective.

Finish the antibiotics and then you can correct the poops.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, changing foods abruptly can cause diarrhea. I would suggest that you feed entirely the RC Gastro dry and the kitten food. Leave out the Merrick for now. The Gastro HE (my kitty has been on this for all of his 9 years) is good for sensitive tummies. Your feeding schedule is a good one, but I think the food is the cause. You might ask the vet for a rx canned food for tummies (we feed Hill's Science Diet i/d rx) and blend that with the kitten canned food.

I have one cat who has a sensitive tummy and we've dealt with it his whole life.

Irisinatl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, changing foods abruptly can cause diarrhea. I would suggest that you feed entirely the RC Gastro dry and the kitten food. Leave out the Merrick for now. The Gastro HE (my kitty has been on this for all of his 9 years) is good for sensitive tummies. Your feeding schedule is a good one, but I think the food is the cause. You might ask the vet for a rx canned food for tummies (we feed Hill's Science Diet i/d rx) and blend that with the kitten canned food.

I have one cat who has a sensitive tummy and we've dealt with it his whole life.
Thanks for your response. Once of my friends said the same thing about the Merrick. I’ll leave that out and feed the Gastro HE dry only and see what happens. They are on Proviable are you saying use both probiotics? Also, I’ve read a lot about pumpkin. Is that a good idea? And if so, how much?

They have been dewormed twice and multiple repeated tests because of Hank’s first issues. I think the next step, if the Merrick doesn’t do anything, is to have the PCR test done.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my guy has flare ups, I feed strictly rx food, both dry and canned. I add in s. boullardi and continue giving his Proviable 2x a day. He gets pumpkin 2x a day also on a regular basis.

Misprints

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a similar problem with my little furball, and it ended up being an allergy/sensitivity to chicken. It took months of tracking what he was eating and trying various single-protein foods to figure it out. :cringe:

Maybe you can try doing something similar? Try a food with less ingredients -- preferably less carbs and a single protein. Keep track of what works and what doesn't.

The brands that I used during Rollo's trials were KOHA and Hounds & Gatos. :)

Irisinatl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So they went strictly on Royal Canin HE dry and canned on Monday. Today both had perfect poops! But they hate the wet food. LOL.

Now we’re going to have to figure out what to switch to in a few days. They haven’t had normal poos since o got them. So I have no idea where to go with what food.

Obviously they have to stay on kitten food. What suggestions do you have for limited ingredient kitten food that can be purchased at Petsmart.

Thanks!