Kitten Food Recommendations?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking for suggestions for good quality canned & dry kitten food available in the US that is somewhat reasonably priced and is soy free. I understand that with better brands you can feed a lower volume, so I'm fine with paying more for good quality, but we're on a budget and can't do the super high end stuff.

Any options need to be soy free because humans in our family are allergic to soy.

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding, I used to feed our previous cats Wellness and they did very well on it, but I've given this kitten Wellness dry and canned, and the dry seems to disagree with her digestion. I don't know if the formula has changed, or if it's just her digestion. She does fine with their canned, but it is cost prohibitive, plus I want to have dry available for her since she's a kitten. I'd love to have different suggestions since I'd like to rotate her foods a bit, if that works out for her, and I know food options have expanded dramatically in the past several years.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I haven't had kittens around for years and years, so can't be of much help, but just want to say that better food doesn't necessarily mean you can feed less. Some high quality food (Weruva for instance) have much lower calories than some of the lesser quality foods. And especially with kittens, you want to make sure they are getting sufficient calories for growth.

There are many brands out there that don't use Soy, but it's really up to you what you can spend and also what you feel is "good quality". My suggestion is simply to look at the labels of foods that fall into the category you like and look at the label. Remember, kittens can eat food that says "for ALL cats". Of course, you don't want to feed them "adult" or "senior", but "all cats" is supposedly just fine.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
For wet food, I have been feeding Fancy Feast to my 4ish month kitten. I don't like some of the ingredients but, as much as he is eating right now (3-4 cans a day...sheesh), it is what we can afford. Low carb, pretty even balance of protein and fats.

For dry food, I have been giving him Nature's Variety Instinct Kitten. It has peas and tapioca, but they are farther down the ingredient list. No soy. He only gets this Monday to Thursday when both my husband and myself are working because I don't want him to go 9+ hours without any food at his age.