Kitten Food Recommendations

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been browsing through the Nutrition forum here but wanted to see about getting some kitten food recommendations and the reasons behind them all in one thread.

My criteria would be that the recommendations be for canned kitten food.  There are various reasons why a raw food diet, whether homemade or prepared, will absolutely not work in my situation.  And as much as it would be financially nice to feed dry food, I've had too many cats with urinary troubles, so dry food is also out.

My situation is I've got three adults, who are now all on canned c/d.  I know it's horrible and I hate it, but I had done hours and hours of research and had them on some great high quality grain free foods (Felidae, Wellness, Innova, Evo, Holistic Select, etc.), and every time one or more of them have ended up with either a partial or complete urinary blockage.  I'm hoping to avoid that problem with the new kitten so I don't end up with four on c/d.

So, if you had a kitten and needed to feed him or her canned food, what would you feed and why?  Inquiring minds want to know! ;-)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if you have seen this http://catinfo.org/   It is a very good resource and includes a chart of most of the canned foods with their percentages of carbs and protein.  I personally think any of the high quality low carb canned foods are fine for a kitten.  That's probably why they don't make a 'kitten' food, their foods are fine for all ages.   Foods like EVO, some of the Wellness, and Hounds and Gatos would be fine, of course there are others as well and I am sure you will see them in other posts.  I am sorry that your other kitties couldn't be transitioned off of the prescription food.  Some kitties can be other's can't, the important thing is keeping the crystals issue under control.

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding my kitten a mixture of everything for the past 4 months and today she turned 6 months. The way I see it is that in the wild their is no mouse (prey) labeled for kitten consumption only so I see No harm in feeding her food that isn't specifically for kittens. I make sure to keep my eye on the protein and fat. Kittens needs a higher protein count then adults, they also need more fat in their diet. But like all cats they also do better with lower carbs in their diet along with grain free products. My kitten also gets fed a "rotation diet" meaning different brands, textures and flavors so she doesn't get picky and in case their is some sort of recall. Her favorite wet foods are Wellness grain free&core, Soulistic, Sheba, all which tend to be higher in protein and are grain free.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks much for the replies! 

I love the catinfo site, and it is one of the ones where I did my previous research into natural/organic foods.  It is tremendously helpful.

The friend who originally rescued our new orphaned ex-barn kitten gave me several cans of food, but it is all adult cat food so I figured I should pick up some kitten food.  Good to know that kittens can do well on some adult food, and the ones she gave me are grain free and decent quality.

For now I settled on getting a case of Wellness kitten.  Since my adults had some problems with Wellness, I will probably try something else if I can find something that seems good.  On the other hand, my adults appear to have problems even with foods with the best ingredients/numbers I could find in my research, so if she likes it and seems to do okay, I may stick with the Wellness at least until she can go to all adult food.

Thanks again!