Kitten follows me everywhere.....is this normal?

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Well for those of u who have read/replied to my past posts a quick update is beautiful Garfield has settled in so so well and we have all adjusted to life together and its great!! I just wanted to ask a quick question thou.....as the title of this post says and im asking more as a worry if im doing something wrong for the cats wellbeing really but hes 7 months old now and has settled into his own little sleep / play routine but its been an ongoing thing since we got him that he follows me or hubby (but mainly me) everywhere even if hes been asleep he will hear us get up and walk into another room or upstairs and hel get up and follow!! It doesn't bother me personally but im thinking of him.....is this normal kitten behaviour and will he grow out of it as he gets older or are we doing something wrong? I worry for him that he cant just ignore us and rest when he is resting!! All advice welcome and thank you in advance xxx

Last edited:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is nothing to worry about. He simply loves you and wants to be near you. You shouldn't worry, just enjoy having a kitty who loves you.  

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Well for those of u who have read/replied to my past posts a quick update is beautiful Garfield has settled in so so well and we have all adjusted to life together and its great!! I just wanted to ask a quick question thou.....as the title of this post says and im asking more as a worry if im doing something wrong for the cats wellbeing really but hes 7 months old now and has settled into his own little sleep / play routine but its been an ongoing thing since we got him that he follows me or hubby (but mainly me) everywhere even if hes been asleep he will hear us get up and walk into another room or upstairs and hel get up and follow!! It doesn't bother me personally but im thinking of him.....is this normal kitten behaviour and will he grow out of it as he gets older or are we doing something wrong? I worry for him that he cant just ignore us and rest when he is resting!! All advice welcome and thank you in advance xxx
If you are doing well with your cat, they generally want to be around you a lot.  The myth is that cats are aloof and antisocial, but it is just that, a myth.  Most well adjusted cats like to be "where he humans are", and some breeds (Siamese, for example) *REALLY* like it. My kitten almost always follows me around, unless it is sunny and she's in the mood to sunbathe ( *That* is a greater lure than even me ;P  )

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, 2 of them follow me around. The 3rd is still mostly in her safe room, but she has made it plain she's trying really hard to be out with everyone else, so we'll get there with 3 eventually! 

@Tink84  To add further to what I said previously, cats, well, catnap. There is no need to worry about interrupting his rest. Your kitten following you around really does just mean he loves you. 

pusheen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 7 month Siamese does the SAME THING. It's kind of infuriating because it's often a relief when she finally sleeps--she's got a hair trigger for play. But as soon as someone in the room gets up and starts walking, she breaks out of her sleep and is trotting after them, stumbling because she's still drowsy! Kittens. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies and for reassuring me. Im just a panicky kitty mummy lol as i have not had cats b4 so dont know their behaviors. As long as hes ok an its just because he loves me i can cope with that lol. Thanks again to you all for replying xxx

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 7 month Siamese does the SAME THING. It's kind of infuriating because it's often a relief when she finally sleeps--she's got a hair trigger for play. But as soon as someone in the room gets up and starts walking, she breaks out of her sleep and is trotting after them, stumbling because she's still drowsy! Kittens. :lol3:
Exactly what u said is what i can totally relate to right now! Mine has a little obsession with my vertical blinds atm. He jumps up on the ledge an bats them till they fall down then either sits on them or runs away. They r all held up with the little hair pins lol But I love him loads xxxxx

Last edited:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hehehe. I love the "i'm still mostly asleep but want to be with you so I'm sleepwalking after you" thing. It's so adorable. 

kittyamaryllis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohh, I've been wondering about that too! :) I'm a first-time cat owner with a 5 month-old kitten and she also follows me everywhere I go. :) It's super cute!