Kitten FIP

Hk02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 7months kitten has feline herpes virus that he got from his mother. He recently got nutered which caused a flare up due to the stress from the surgery. A flare up for him is just inflamed eye lid. We got eye drops to help with that then his other eye was getting red and cloudy and the vet said it was anterior uveitis. They gave him medication yet it really only got worse but comforting for him. Then followed lack of appetite, fevers, weight loss, and diarrhea & sneezing. So we brought him back to the vet again and the vet was saying that she has a suspicion that it’s feline infectious peritonitis (FIP). They have hun fluids and They are doing blood work and will be doing a fecal test although I’m currently sitting not knowing what to do at this point. I love this kitten and we haven’t even had him for a year. It’s been only 6 months that we’ve had him and all this is happening. What’s worse is that if it’s really FIP the vet said there wasn’t any cure and I hate that I can’t do more.
I need advice on what to do. I feel like I’m getting nowhere with this vet and I barely heard and solutions. I want my baby to live and be happy and we’ve been comforting him and trying different foods for him to eat. I want to help him but I feel like I don’t hear any solutions from the vet. I just don’t know what to do. He’s currently just sleeping a lot and other than the symptoms I’ve listed that’s all

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where are you located?

There is a now a treatment for FIP. Its new, its not well known and it is a black market treatment in some areas but it is real. In some cases the treatment might just show that it isnt FIP. FIP is one of those, if nothing else works then it must be FIP things. So it can be something else, I know of someone who thought it was FIP but when the treatment had no effect the dug deeper and found out it was bacterial overgrowth in the digestive tract.

Check Facebook for FIP Warriors or @myfosterkittens on Instagram.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. All of the symptoms you've described are common with feline herpes flare ups. I didn't see anything in your post about treating your kitten with antibiotics - unless the meds the vet gave him for the uveitis was an antibiotic. Many times a flare up will create a secondary infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics, and specific antibiotics may be more effective than others - or, additional courses may be needed.

All you can do for the moment is wait for the test results and see if they shed any light on what is going on with your kitten. I hope the fecal testing they are doing is a full fecal PCR panel, which is much more thorough than the standard fecal which only looks for some parasites, and does not include any testing for bacterial or viral issues.

Please hang in there and keep us posted! :vibes::grouphug2:

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your vet is doing the right thing here, first they tried to treat the most likely cause which was FHV and now they’re doing bloodwork and fecal testing right? If there’s a solution or treatment that can fix your cat’s illness they do have to do tests in order to find out what it is, unfortunately they can’t just give you a solution. I know it’s hard when your pet is sick and you feel helpless to do anything about it, but try to remind yourself that you’re doing the right thing by bringing him to the vet and taking care of him at home.
If he’s not eating much you may want to ask the vet for an appetite stimulant for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hk02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where are you located?

There is a now a treatment for FIP. Its new, its not well known and it is a black market treatment in some areas but it is real. In some cases the treatment might just show that it isnt FIP. FIP is one of those, if nothing else works then it must be FIP things. So it can be something else, I know of someone who thought it was FIP but when the treatment had no effect the dug deeper and found out it was bacterial overgrowth in the digestive tract.

Where are you located?

Thank you for your reply, I’m located in Canada ottawa Ontario. They are testing his stool today so I’m hoping it’s something else. What is the treatment? I’m really hoping I can help him

Hk02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. All of the symptoms you've described are common with feline herpes flare ups. I didn't see anything in your post about treating your kitten with antibiotics - unless the meds the vet gave him for the uveitis was an antibiotic. Many times a flare up will create a secondary infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics, and specific antibiotics may be more effective than others - or, additional courses may be needed.

All you can do for the moment is wait for the test results and see if they shed any light on what is going on with your kitten. I hope the fecal testing they are doing is a full fecal PCR panel, which is much more thorough than the standard fecal which only looks for some parasites, and does not include any testing for bacterial or viral issues.

Please hang in there and keep us posted! :vibes::grouphug2:
He’s been prescribed Tobrex eye drops for the eyes, clavaseptin, gabapentin to help with the pain, and madex eye ointment. Although they told me to stop the clavaseptin, and the eye ointment and gave me a different lubricant ointment for his eyes as they were dry as well as metronidazole for the diarrhea. That’s all they prescribed him at the moment. I just dropped off the fecal sample and will call them to ask if it’s a full fecal PCR panel. He’s had the diarrhea before and lack of appetite so I’m just hoping it’s only related to his herpes.

Hk02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like your vet is doing the right thing here, first they tried to treat the most likely cause which was FHV and now they’re doing bloodwork and fecal testing right? If there’s a solution or treatment that can fix your cat’s illness they do have to do tests in order to find out what it is, unfortunately they can’t just give you a solution. I know it’s hard when your pet is sick and you feel helpless to do anything about it, but try to remind yourself that you’re doing the right thing by bringing him to the vet and taking care of him at home.
If he’s not eating much you may want to ask the vet for an appetite stimulant for him.
Yes currently they’re doing blood testing and fecal test. I’m hoping it’s something other than FIP. They told us to try feeding him other food for now as he may be fussy. We’re trying different foods and he’ll eat half or none at all. Although once we get the test results back we may transfer him to the ER for further testing

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes currently they’re doing blood testing and fecal test. I’m hoping it’s something other than FIP. They told us to try feeding him other food for now as he may be fussy. We’re trying different foods and he’ll eat half or none at all. Although once we get the test results back we may transfer him to the ER for further testing
Fingers crossed!! Anti-nausea medication and appetite stimulants helped my cat a lot when he was sick and wouldn’t eat but it was definitely still a pain to get him to eat more than one or two bites. Adding some KMR (kitten milk replacement, they have it at pet stores in cans) to pate food to make it less thick helped a little bit.

My cat had FIP and we treated it successfully, I just recently posted about it in this thread if you want to look: FIP

hopefully you won’t need it!

Hk02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fingers crossed!! Anti-nausea medication and appetite stimulants helped my cat a lot when he was sick and wouldn’t eat but it was definitely still a pain to get him to eat more than one or two bites. Adding some KMR (kitten milk replacement, they have it at pet stores in cans) to pate food to make it less thick helped a little bit.

My cat had FIP and we treated it successfully, I just recently posted about it in this thread if you want to look: FIP

hopefully you won’t need it!
Oh my thank you & I’m so glad to hear. I’ll definitely take a look at the thread right now and I hope you don’t mind if I bother you with more questions.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for your reply, I’m located in Canada ottawa Ontario. They are testing his stool today so I’m hoping it’s something else. What is the treatment? I’m really hoping I can help him
I sent you a PM.

Hopefully a stool tests shows it is something less serious. In the case I mentioned, the foster mom treated one infection and one of three kittens just didn't bounce back. They thought FIP but after doing a more comprehensive testing they figured out it was an infection. A round of a different antibiotic and the kitten is thriving again. I also was told my cat could have FIP at one point, turns out he was constipated.

It really is the diagnosis when nothing else fits. You probably should get a second opinion. Sometimes a different vet with different experiences will spot something the first one missed.