Kitten fell off a balcony

caty786

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My three months old kitten fell off a balcony, approximately 2 metres high. He fell on his back and when I picked him up, he started scratching me. I put him on my lap and he stayed there, he looked confused and a bit scared. What worried me is that saliva was coming out of his mouth. He was also producing a weird throbbing sound, it sounded like his nose was congested. All of a sudden it seemed like he was about to throw up, but he didn't. I took him to the house and put him in his bed. He immediately went out again and luckily he didn't have any trouble walking. Usually he's very playful, but when he got out, he just sat. I put him on my lap again and he curled into a ball and started sleeping. The throbbing sound is gone and he seems to be relaxing, he even started kneading with his paws.
Is he going to be okay? Does he just need to sleep a little? I'm also worried about that throbbing sound which is now luckily gone.
Sorry for the long post, I'm just really worried about my little kitten.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
do you have a vet nearby? you might want to get an xray done to ensure no internal bleeding. its a big deal that he fell that much. I would get him xrayed and someone who Is a vet to listen to his breathing and make sure theres no bleeding going on inside.

also monitor his bathroom habits. be sure no blood in the urine or poo.

I don't feel comfortable giving any other medical advice. you need to get him looked at STAT!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My three months old kitten fell off a balcony, approximately 2 metres high. He fell on his back and when I picked him up, he started scratching me. I put him on my lap and he stayed there, he looked confused and a bit scared. What worried me is that saliva was coming out of his mouth. He was also producing a weird throbbing sound, it sounded like his nose was congested. All of a sudden it seemed like he was about to throw up, but he didn't. I took him to the house and put him in his bed. He immediately went out again and luckily he didn't have any trouble walking. Usually he's very playful, but when he got out, he just sat. I put him on my lap again and he curled into a ball and started sleeping. The throbbing sound is gone and he seems to be relaxing, he even started kneading with his paws.
Is he going to be okay? Does he just need to sleep a little? I'm also worried about that throbbing sound which is now luckily gone.
Sorry for the long post, I'm just really worried about my little kitten.
Hi ! Welcome to TCS!

That sounds very scary!! I'm sorry that you're going through this. 

Keep a sharp eye on him. So he fell about 7 feet . That's not too bad. He should be OK. Kittens are quite resilient. Make sure he eats, drinks and uses the litter box as usual. If he does this and is still alert and playful, he's likely fine. If he shows any signs of being lethargic, limps or anything like that or if he stops eating, drinking or using the box, take him in to the vet ASAP. 

Please also give him a hug and kiss for me. Poor baby. That must have been quite scary for him too. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caty786

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for responding. I was planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow, but he seems to be getting better. After his little nap he started jumping around again. I tried giving him his favourite snack, but he just smelled it. To me it didn't seem like he can't eat, it looked like he was too busy running around. Right now he's playing with his brother, but I'll keep an eye on him and I'll try feeding him later. I'll update about how he's doing. Thank you for your worries and kind wishes :)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
ok I over reacted. Sorry! I suppose 7 feet is not too high up-I don't know why I thought it was 10 feet up. But I am glad you are keeping an eye on him. And yes cats are resilient is very true!!

do you have a picture of these baby?? we love kitten tails here!

caty786

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got really worried too, but fortunately he acts normal now.

I can't upload a picture for some reason. I'll try again later from my PC.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

ok I over reacted. Sorry! I suppose 7 feet is not too high up-I don't know why I thought it was 10 feet up. But I am glad you are keeping an eye on him. And yes cats are resilient is very true!!

do you have a picture of these baby?? we love kitten tails here!
I had to look it up- I  freely admit it. 
  I have no concept of the metric system. My brain wants nothing to do with it and invents it's own conversion depending on what mood it is in so when I hear meter my brain thinks it's like the height of a one story building so when I first read it I thought the little one fell 2 stories until I looked up the conversion and realized that it is definitely not which is a good thing in this instance. 

Technically, it's a little less. One meter equals 39.37  inches, which is approximately 3 feet 3 inches so 2 meters would be approximately 6 feet 6 inches. 

I second that- we do need a picture of the little sweetie!! 

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How did your kitten fall of the balcony? I mean how did it happen?

I think you should take the kitten to the vet, today. I agree 6-7 feet is not a big deal, unless the cat lands on his back. Which is what happened here.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even if your kitty seems to be doing ok and behaving normally I would still take him to the vet. I would keep an eye on him at least and if he seems to have any tender spots, cats hide it well when they are in pain. I've seen a cat hurt their back falling only 5 feet down from a ledge or windowsill, it all depends on how they fall.

caty786

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did your kitten fall of the balcony? I mean how did it happen?

I think you should take the kitten to the vet, today. I agree 6-7 feet is not a big deal, unless the cat lands on his back. Which is what happened here.
It's not a "normal" balcony, you get to it by stairs. The kitten is very playful and he often runs on those stairs, many times on the outside of the fence. I was worried before so I would always take him away. Yesterday I left him alone outside for maybe a minute and when I got out I saw him on the balcony right before he fell.
He calmed down and today he is playful as always, and of course he is climbing those stairs again from the outside so I have to keep an eye on him at all times. Once again, thank you all for helping :heart4:

P.S. I finally managed to upload a picture of little Edgar :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a gorgeous baby he is!!  

I'm so glad that he's doing well. Please give that precious little one a snuggle for me.