Kitten feeding advice

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Believe this question could have been asked before.
But i still don't get how to read the food feeding instruction.
I want to feed my 2month kittens both wet and dry food.
Below is the calculation I made based on the feeding instruction.

1. Wellness Core kitten dry kibble
To feed 1/4 cup ( 31.25gm) of kibble and 85gm of wet food per day

2. Sheba kitten wet food for wet alone feeding
To feed 47gm of wet food per day

3. Wellness Core Kitten wet food (01 can is 156gm) only for wet alone feeding.
To feed until full 3-4 times a day
1/3 can per LB (450gm) based on body weight for 5-8mths kitten.

So you can see my difficulty in understanding how much to feed my kitten.
If i based on 04 x feeding it will be 03 x dry and 01 x wet.
If i based on free feeding as they are in kitten stage, then can i just leave the kibbles out for them the whole day and feed the wet before they sleep?

Experts pls advice?
Its easier to feed my adult cat twice a day like a clock.
First time managing kittens.

Thanks

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens have tiny kitten-sized innards and need to eat more often than an adult, plus they have higher caloric needs per pound than a full-grown cat. The free-feeding of dry kitten food with a wet food meal late toward night seems to work pretty well. An occasional serving of KMR wouldn't be a bad idea at your kitty's age, either.

At 2 months of age, they're just little eating machines. They need the food to grow. It's really hard to overfeed a kitten.

The big problem might be your grown cat, which might scarf down the kitty's food. I have had to feed the little ones separately a few extra times daily apart from the big ones for that reason.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ignore feeding instructions for kittens. You just feed kittens as much as they will eat. Kittens eat tons of food in order to grow. They have little tummies so they eat several times a day. Free feed dry food and provide canned food a few times a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fed wet food in small amount for the kittens. Left the dry kibbles like free food in tray. Only the female kitten eats it. Ad such not sure if yhe male kitten takes it as so far he not eating dry.
Also how long the dry kibble can be left on the tray?
On the instruction say leave for 20min only..

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny they would say 20 minutes. We used to leave the dry food out all the time and would only change it out maybe, twice a week? Probably something to do with programmed, not free, feeding.

I have "scarf-n-barfers," so I never could free-feed the ones I have now.

Please be sure to leave a dish of fresh water nearby. They won't get any needed water from the dry stuff, and cats have a poor thirst reflex. That's why I suggested a serving of KMR now and then, as well as to provide extra calcium for those growing bones.

You have to watch to see if one of your kitties has food issues and won't let the other eat. Maybe that's why the little guy doesn't eat the kibble, although it's not uncommon for cats to be fussy eaters (thank God I have three little omnivores--they'll eat anything).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry food is baked so it can sit out all day. I'd toss any leftovers at the end of the day. Try to set out only enough food that the kittens are eating so you're not throwing away too much at the end of the day. Saliva gets all the dry food pieces and that encourages bacteria growth.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.
Each kittie eats from their own plate.
But only the smaller take minimum dry yesterday like few pcs.
But today she also ignore.
This morning again they take wet food.
Could it be due to dry food not soft.?
Can we add water to dry water to soften it?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At two months of age, your kittens could be teething. They might not find eating dry food comfortable. Moistening the dry with some water will help with that if you want to keep feeding dry food, but you'll have to change out the uneaten food more often since the water could help the food to spoil sooner.

It's possible for one to miss loss of baby kitten teeth entirely. I've had that happen. All of a sudden, there'll be a little red hole in the gums where the tooth was. Don't worry; kittens' permanent teeth appear pretty quickly after the baby teeth fall out. They won't starve (but this is another good reason to give them some KMR along with their regular meals at this time).

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At two months of age, your kittens could be teething. They might not find eating dry food comfortable. Moistening the dry with some water will help with that if you want to keep feeding dry food, but you'll have to change out the uneaten food more often since the water could help the food to spoil sooner.

It's possible for one to miss loss of baby kitten teeth entirely. I've had that happen. All of a sudden, there'll be a little red hole in the gums where the tooth was. Don't worry; kittens' permanent teeth appear pretty quickly after the baby teeth fall out. They won't starve (but this is another good reason to give them some KMR along with their regular meals at this time).
Thanks. But KMR is ex here as well. For now they take wet food quite well just the I note to feed 4x a day since I cannot leave it out like dry.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever they're eating now will work, and they'll get more liquids from the wet food. Just wanted to give you more options. Don't know where you're located, but goat's milk will work as well for more liquid as well as calcium, if you can get some of that.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1. They love sheba kitten wet food but sheba only make 1 version of it. So I add a bit of wellness core kitten dry and they will eat it. But only if little dry kiibles. Also notice poop more smelly.
Is it wet food causing it or the wellness core?
Heard good reviews on wellness core but the kittens do not want to eat the dry food at all..
How to do the transition from wet to dry?