kitten eye color

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
these kittens were born approx last week of feb. these photos were taken seconds apart from each other. one pic his eyes look bright blue another a kind of what, non descript yellowish or greenish? I was trying to get a good photo of his eyes because I've seen a bit of green in them in the past. just wondering anyone have any idea what i'm seeing here. to the naked eye I've never noticed his eyes looking mostly this other color. they generally look blue with a hint of other color? also what color are her eyes?

edit: just showed my husband he says he thinks the camera is doing coloring balancing that it should not be doing. still there is a second color coming thru in his eyes. its a cool effect. but not sure what to make of it. I didn't think that was possible with blue eyes.

Attachments

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It happens with the angle of the eyes, too. You will probably have to wait a couple of months for the real eye color to show up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It happens with the angle of the eyes, too. You will probably have to wait a couple of months for the real eye color to show up.
it's not possible for a color point to have anything but blue eyes though is it?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
it's not possible for a color point to have anything but blue eyes though is it?
Some points have a somewhat greenish eyes, turkose its called I think.
Especielly there are clans among the ragdolls whom are renown for their greenish eyes.

Swell lefty is a point, its not apparently visible... At first glance on the first photo I thought she is a shaded tabby, but with these eyes she must be a point, and not a shaded tabby...
A prettie.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some points have a somewhat greenish eyes, turkose its called I think.
Especielly there are clans among the ragdolls whom are renown for their greenish eyes.

Swell lefty is a point, its not apparently visible... At first glance on the first photo I thought she is a shaded tabby, but with these eyes she must be a point, and not a shaded tabby...
A prettie.

those pics didn't really show his points. here is a body pic.

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
these kittens were born approx last week of feb. these photos were taken seconds apart from each other. one pic his eyes look bright blue another a kind of what, non descript yellowish or greenish? I was trying to get a good photo of his eyes because I've seen a bit of green in them in the past. just wondering anyone have any idea what i'm seeing here. to the naked eye I've never noticed his eyes looking mostly this other color. they generally look blue with a hint of other color? also what color are her eyes?

edit: just showed my husband he says he thinks the camera is doing coloring balancing that it should not be doing. still there is a second color coming thru in his eyes. its a cool effect. but not sure what to make of it. I didn't think that was possible with blue eyes.
Gorgeous kittens😻 you have a beautiful Colorpoint with blue eyes and a beautiful tabby with amber yellow eyes. Sometimes the blue eyes in some oriental breeds will be green but it’s pretty rare… time Will tell if they change at all

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think some sometimes oriental breeds have more greenish eyes but I think it is rare and in mink burmese and such. I’m not sure if they are officially pointed though because due to the genetics of being partial albinos pointed cats always do have blue eyes.
Here is an article which explains it… Sometimes Siamese cats can have some green in their eyes. If the albino gene is not fully expressed, which means they could be a mixture and not a pure bred… in which case the point coloration in there for would not be as strong as well. Your kitten looks like she has a little bit of yellow in her left eye in one pic, but her color is still developing, really there is no pigment though in a blue eyed cat’s eyes. Same for people. My eyes are blue green, up close you can see yellow specs mixed in with the blue.

Since color point cats have no pigment in their eyes, if there is green it means the albino gene is not fully expressed, and they have more pigmentation. The color that you see in the color points cat’s eyes is reflected light color which can appear to be different in different lights and backgrounds. Sometimes they can look almost gray. Sometimes it can be vivid, deep blue, and some cats have a violet blue coloration with some gold. Quinn’s eyes sometimes look lighter in certain lights, and sometimes a very deep blue.
Can Siamese Cats Have Green Eyes – The Myth Explained! – FAQcats.com

Last edited:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think some sometimes oriental breeds have more greenish eyes but I think it is rare and in mink burmese and such. I’m not sure if they are officially pointed though because due to the genetics of being partial albinos pointed cats always do have blue eyes.
Here is an article which explains it… Sometimes Siamese cats can have some green in their eyes. If the albino gene is not fully expressed, which means they could be a mixture and not a pure bred… in which case the point coloration in there for would not be as strong as well. Your kitten looks like she has a little bit of yellow in her left eye in one pic, but her color is still developing, really there is no pigment though in a blue eyed cat’s eyes. Same for people. My eyes are blue green, up close you can see yellow specs mixed in with the blue.

Since color point cats have no pigment in their eyes, if there is green it means the albino gene is not fully expressed, and they have more pigmentation. The color that you see in the color points cat’s eyes is reflected light color which can appear to be different in different lights and backgrounds. Sometimes they can look almost gray. Sometimes it can be vivid, deep blue, and some cats have a violet blue coloration with some gold. Quinn’s eyes sometimes look lighter in certain lights, and sometimes a very deep blue.
Can Siamese Cats Have Green Eyes – The Myth Explained! – FAQcats.com

well he's def not a full breed siamese. the kitten next to him is his litter mate. and they're going to be long haired. in person his eyes look blue with flashes of green when he stops long enough to let you look in his eyes. it was also mentioned rag dolls can have blue green eyes. (its the mink ragdoll which I guess isn't considered pure bred by papered standards) And also tonkinese have blue green eyes. im really curious about what he's going to look like as an adult. im actually glad that he has a little more pigment. he might avoid some of the eye issues blue eyed cats have although he is slightly crosseyed. so he has that to deal with. they are indeed super super soft kittens but i'm not sure as a casual kitten caretaker you'd ever be able to tell if a kitten was softer than normal because kittens are totally soft lol.

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
Burmese and Tonkinese style colorpoints can have turquoise eyes. It is usually seen with the darker point colorations rather than the Siamese style colorpoints.

It may be an indicator that your baby might be on the darker side when the color fully develops.

Burmese style colorpoints are a result of a different mutation of the same gene that causes Siamese style colorpoint, but the Burmese variation leads to less contrast between the points and the body color. A Tonkinese style colorpoint is the result of having one copy of Siamese style colorpoint and one copy of Burmese style, so they wind up being about halfway between the others in contrast.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Burmese and Tonkinese style colorpoints can have turquoise eyes. It is usually seen with the darker point colorations rather than the Siamese style colorpoints.

It may be an indicator that your baby might be on the darker side when the color fully develops.

Burmese style colorpoints are a result of a different mutation of the same gene that causes Siamese style colorpoint, but the Burmese variation leads to less contrast between the points and the body color. A Tonkinese style colorpoint is the result of having one copy of Siamese style colorpoint and one copy of Burmese style, so they wind up being about halfway between the others in contrast.

i've been expecting he will be very dark toast since he seems to have that cream color on the tips of his back compared to other color point kittens that seem straight up white at his age. that's why I've been looking so hard for baby to adult comparisons to see if kittens that have more of a colored coat at his age end up super dark. time will tell though

Last edited: