Kitten energy

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Looking for some tips!

We have our cat Oscar who is 6 and our kitten who is 10 weeks in another room at night.

I wake up around 7 or so, do a few things then let the kitten out to run around for 15-20 minutes with Oscar, then I need to get ready for work.

I put her back in the room and she starts to cry to come out.

Sometimes I'll go back in there and play with her for Few more minutes.

Any suggestions?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the kitten has food, water, litter, a bed, and toys it will be fine in it's room all day. Does Oscar also want more time with the kitten? Maybe a baby gate so Oscar can jump in and out.

Is your home kitten proofed and is Oscar comfortable with the kitten? Is the kitten free to roam when you're home and is it going smoothly? If it's a strong yes to these you could try letting the kitten free overnight a few times before leaving them alone together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have baby gate but Ellie the kitten keeps climbing up it rendering it useless unless I am watching her.

Definitely not alone yet it's only been two weeks

They run up and down the stairs so I have to watch them

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If Oscar seems to be OK with this kitten, I think setting up a DIY blockade instead of a baby gate might be your best bet, when you are not at home. As said above, that allows the two to interact, hopefully helping Ellie feel less alone but still keeping them apart while you can't watch them both. Here is (see pic below) an example. It is made from shelving that can be bought at many home improvement stores. Set the shelving on its side and zip tie each segment of the shelving to make a 'foldable door'. The shelving can be cut to most any height that you want or need. All you have to do gain access to either side of the blockade is to fold a segment back. The kitten might still be able to climb it, but since is will be covering the entire doorway to the top, preventing Ellie from actually getting out to the other side.
Shelving blockade.png

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How to keep from tipping over FeebysOwner FeebysOwner
There are a number of ways, but I think one of the simpler ones is to use Command hook/strips on each side of the door frame and then use one or more bungee cords stretched across the blockade onto the Command hooks/strips. If you want to do something a tad bit more 'sturdy', you can screw/nail hooks on each side of the door instead of the Command strips. Probably 2 or 3 of these placed toward the bottom, the middle, and maybe another near the top.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner FeebysOwner .. ugh.. how do you stop this from happening?

295F6ECE-6A72-41A1-A5C7-AE2E7B562DB7.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:flail:Isn't that just like a cat???? Oh, boy!
If you are worried that he will fall and injure himself, then buy a piece of plexi-glass, bore holes along the edges and secure it to the top half of the blockade with zip ties. He will still be able to climb the lower half, but not the top half due to the plexi-glass, so if he does fall it will be a short distance.