Kitten energy levels

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been many years since I’ve had a kitten in my home. As a bit of back story, the last 4 years have been difficult, I lost my 5 elderly (nearly 20 years old each) cats one by one to various illnesses. I have been left in a state of paranoia over my new kittens health and worry over every little thing. He is nearly 5 months old now and his energy level seems a bit lower the last few days than his normal level. He’s eating, drinking and pottying fine - just a bit sleepier than usual and is not as interested in his toys. Could this be a growth spurt? Is he bored? If he continues this way I’ll definitely take him to my vet but I’m wondering if this is just my overly worried self getting carried away.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Keep a sharp eye on the litter box, for both outputs remaining the same as usual. It could be a growth spurt, but you're wise to be alert to changes in his behavior :)

Francesca78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there,
I very much understand how you feel. I have adopted four kitten after having lost my two cats, Anselmo, senior aged 10 in 2019, and Puccio, aged 18 and 1/2 in June. I am no longer used to kittens at all! What I noticed in mine is that they do have some moments where they seem quieter, and that often it is related to the weather. They sense it very much! However, I do agree with the comments you received above, keep an eye on him. I would actually even just give a call to the vet to put your mind at rest!

Keep us updated,

Francesca

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sebastian is doing fine! I was right to be concerned though- he had been climbing and playing particularly hard the day before I noticed the changes and had injured his leg, which I didn’t realize. He started favouring it and limping slightly after I posted my original post, also resting a lot more than usual. We watched him closely (and babied him lol) and he completely recovered after a couple days. He’s back to his crazier self now, I guess a bit of paranoia is ok it keeps me paying attention