Kitten Eats Off The Floor

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there. My four month old kitten is constantly eating everything off the floor. I’m worried cause she will eat crumbs, non edible things and one time she tried to eat her toy which was about a foot long. (You throw it in the air and they chase it) she had a lot of the toy in her mouth before my mom pulled it out. I don’t know why my kitten does this. She’s on a very good food brand (hills science development food) Hill's Science Diet Kitten Healthy Development Chicken Recipe Dry Cat Food . She will be able to roam the house freely in 2 months (she can not be left alone with our other cat yet because she needs to have the 6 month snaptest so we know she’s healthy and won’t infect our other cat) and if she’s roaming freely, I’m afraid she will eat something bad and get sick. Any suggestions?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there - your kitten is hungry and needs more food. Most people will do 2 or 3 servings of wet food per day and leave dry food out for grazing. Kittens need wet food too because they need the hydration and moisture (actually, all cats need wet food).

The brand of food you are feeding is in fact a low quality food. Cats are obligate carnivores and need food that is high in animal protein. The science diet is full of carbs that cats can't digest properly (e.g., Brown Rice, Wheat Gluten, Whole Grain Oats, Whole Grain Wheat, Cracked Pearled Barley). Manufacturers use these ingredients because they are cheap fillers. But, these are all inappropriate foods for cats. You might have a read through some of the threads in our nutrition forum to get a sense of what dry foods are better recommended for cats.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Another vote for more food. Actually, kittens need wet food to get enough protein from animals and recognize it as cat food. Also, the Nutrition section seems to not have any recommendations for kittens to eat Hill's Science Diet.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree transitioning to a different food would be a good idea but that needs to happen slowly. For now, increase the amount you are feeding of what your kitten is eating.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I would add in some canned food to her diet. I would also ask the vet when she will be old enough for flea & worm treatments. Parasites can cause cats to be hungry and eat weird things off the floor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, I would add in some canned food to her diet. I would also ask the vet when she will be old enough for flea & worm treatments. Parasites can cause cats to be hungry and eat weird things off the floor.
We used to give her wet food but she got bad diarrhea from it. Our vet said to take her off it and that the food we currently give her is fine

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree transitioning to a different food would be a good idea but that needs to happen slowly. For now, increase the amount you are feeding of what your kitten is eating.
My vet said that the food is fine and my mom doesn’t want to switch brands.

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another vote for more food. Actually, kittens need wet food to get enough protein from animals and recognize it as cat food. Also, the Nutrition section seems to not have any recommendations for kittens to eat Hill's Science Diet.
She got bad bowls from it and our vet said to take her off it so we did.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What brand of canned food was it? My cats have tried just about every brand and they have never gotten diarrhea from it.

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What brand of canned food was it? My cats have tried just about every brand and they have never gotten diarrhea from it.
I’m not 100% sure but it probably is this healthy gourmet brand since we have a few cans in the closet.

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe try another brand?
I don’t know I read the ingredients and it seems like a pretty good brand. Also my parents aren’t going to because people we know didn’t feed their kittens wet food and our vet said it’s fine so they have their mindset.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worry that your cat will get urinary problems though on an all dry food diet. Cats really need the moisture in canned food.

Holtby70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We know people that didn’t feed their kittens wet food*

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the ingredients, but it's probably okay as a treat.