Kitten Eating My Eyelashes?..

kriskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I have a pretty strange problem..
One of my kittens Tinkerbell is obbssesed with my eyelashes.
She is about 4 months old and I have had her and her brothers and sisters since birth.
(I am currently trying to find out how to find them homes :(... )

So not so recently I will be laying down for bed and she will come up next to me and pretty oddly stare at me for about 5 minutes straight. Then she goes to attack my eyelashes! Since I push her off right away I can only describe it as she is trying to eat them, maybe even just lick them. I thought maybe it had something to do with my mascara, but even when I don't have any on she will still do it!

What does this mean? Does she have some sort of nutritional deficiency?

Please help of possible :)
Thanks!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It seems to be that she is just a curious 4 month old kitten.  She probably sees you blinking and your eye lashes moving.  Cats like to attack things that move.  When she starts the staring behavior, I would not allow it to go any further.  She is giving you a warning.  Get up and distract her with something appropriate to play with.  Try a da bird wand toy or a laser pointer. 

You do not want to allow this behavior to continue as it will create a very bad habit.  Distraction is your friend.

nessie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with ShadowsRescue, and think you should do everything you can to distract your kitten from your eyelashes. Your kitten might start doing what my kitten did - I think she also liked my eyelids and eyelashes moving when I blinked, because she'd try to pounce on and bat at my eyes. She has almost completely stopped doing this now, thank goodness, but it was NOT fun when she scratched one of my eyes with her claws! :(

Of course, your kitten's behaviour may not escalate to my kitten's level (actually she never escalated at all - she kind of just started going for my eyes out of nowhere), but just in case, you should nip this in the bud.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yep, especially since our eyes move while we sleep... that could be bad.