Kitten Eating Litter

sebnari96

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, everyone! It's been awhile.

I am back because yesterday(4/29), I bought a 8 week old kitten, Ciel. I never had a kitten this young before. My first cat, Sebastian was 11 weeks when I got him and Inari, cat number two was 13 weeks old. When I placed Ciel in the litter box, he decided to eat the litter. I quickly went into his mouth to get it out. I am going to take him vet either Tuesday and Wednesday.

So, what litter products should I buy that will be best for him? I currently have clumping litter and know it's bad. So, does anyone have any advice to help me get him to stop eating it, or what litter brand would you suggest me to buy?

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whatever you do, don't use clumping litter. Perhaps something like "yesterday's news" would be good, if he insists on eating it.

Gosh, I'mve never had a kitten that young either, so not sure how to stop him from eating it other than to just say "no" and take it out of his mouth. Unfortunately, though, sometimes eating litter is a sign of anemia. Hopefully in your case it's just because he's a wee baby and is curious about EVERYTHING. Did you kitten proof your house? Here's an article that discusses what to have ready when you bring home a new furry friend: New Cat Checklist: What You Need to Get Before Bringing Kitty Home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sebnari96

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mother went to the store this morning before work and bought some, Fresh Step: Unclumping litter. He sometimes eats the litter or spits it out. Both really.

And yes, my house is kitten proof since I raised kittens back to back. There are no cords laying around, but only the higher up ones are visible, but unreachable. I do plan taking him to the vet tomorrow-Wednesday, so will see what the vet says.

Attachments

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had kittens I was using Feline Fresh pine litter until they were about 6 months old before I moved them to clumping clay. I don't know about digestibility but I felt safer using it until they were bigger.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to try fresh news or a similar pellet or organic litter. These pellet litters are often too big for her to swallow.

The big problem with clay litter is if she swallowed it it will stick to her intestine and cause a blockage over time.