Kitten eating less

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I know I have alot of questions here! Appreciate all the advice.

My 7 month old cat was staying with my uncle for 10 days while I was hospitalized and he came back home 2 days ago. His eating and bathroom habits have changed since coming home. I feed him wet food twice/day and leave dry out. He’s only eaten half of each wet food can (3 oz) and not much dry at all. He usually poops at least twice a day and he’s only gone once. Do you think he is readjusting to being home or could something be wrong? Otherwise he acts normal- playing, running around, not hiding or anything.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi-
The eating and consequently pooping less could be just a temporary slow-down due to the changes in his environment and also in his changing metabolism, and he could return to eating more again before he's a year old if he undergoes a growth spurt. However, if you haven't had him in to a vet for a wellness check (has he been neutered?), you might consider doing so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi-
The eating and consequently pooping less could be just a temporary slow-down due to the changes in his environment and also in his changing metabolism, and he could return to eating more again before he's a year old if he undergoes a growth spurt. However, if you haven't had him in to a vet for a wellness check (has he been neutered?), you might consider doing so.
Yes he has been neutered and up to date on all shots. I assume it is due to change in environment. He’s eating and going to the bathroom, it just seems less. I will call the vet if it gets worse. My cat before him developed cancer at 7 years old and passed away suddenly within 2 months. The first thing I noticed with her was changes in eating, so I’m a little overly sensitive to that I guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again. Still no change here. I made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning since they’re closed today. He still has not pooped since Wednesday and he’s eating much less. I bought those fancy feast broth packets to see if he’ll take that but he only took a bite. I feel like something is very wrong. Vet wants a sample, but I said he has not gone at all. I’m not sure what I can do in the meantime for him.