Kitten eating cat food

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. I adopted a kitten in September and he is now approximately 6 months old. I already have a almost 2 year old and I have recently run into a problem. I thought I had figured out with the feeding situation being put the kitten food on the table and monitor the kitten while he eats so the older cat doesn't steal food and leave a bowl out all day for the older cat. Well now the kitten can jump on the counter where the older cat was being fed. The older cat prefers to nibble all day and I'm not sure what to do to remedy the situation. Any advice?

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 4 kittens and 3 adults. I just mixed the kitten food with the adult food. They seem to be doing ok with it. We free feed. So that was my only solution.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are worried about portion control that is different, but if it is just adult vs kitten food I'd let it go and switch to adult food. Six months is def old enough.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't feed a cat on a table or counter or anything if at all possible. It just teaches them that those areas are for food and eating and encourages them to counter / table surf for your food and scraps. Not something most guests want to see :oops:

It's fine for both cats to eat the same adult food. You could even feed "all life stages" food to both cats if you want. Give the kitten some kitten specific canned food if you want for the extra calories.

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feed a cat on a table or counter or anything if at all possible. It just teaches them that those areas are for food and eating and encourages them to counter / table surf for your food and scraps. Not something most guests want to see :oops:

It's fine for both cats to eat the same adult food. You could even feed "all life stages" food to both cats if you want. Give the kitten some kitten specific canned food if you want for the extra calories.
That shipped sailed yeaaaaars ago. My cats are counter dwellers. What can ya do? It’s their home, we just live here. Of course I keep the place wiped down if there’s cooking involved. 🤷🏼‍♀️
594E0304-6A75-4E8D-9FDA-2DE393ADCEC4.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he is now approximately 6 months old.
He's still young enough that he needs several meals of wet food daily plus free fed kibble. As mentioned, All Life Stages kibble could work, and maybe feed your kitten his canned food behind a closed doors :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As other mentioned at 6 months the kitten is fine eating regular cat food. No need for kitten food any longer. You'll just have to be sure he's getting enough of it to get the extra calories a kitten needs. I've personally found that our kitten, about the same age, does not eat quite as much as she did a couple of months ago when she was wolfing down food at an alarming rate LOL. We now give her and our older cat 2 whole 3 ounce cans each 2x a day plus they split 1 can each 2x a day as a snack. The kitten also gets a high protein/low grain dry food left out for her at all times. Our older one never finishes a meal nor does she eat the kibble (rarely anyway) so she isn't over eating and the kitten at this age has begun to reduce her intake on her own and most of the time does not clean her wet food bowls either but we always provide her the food regularly through the day just in case she needs it.