Kitten Eating Cat Food

meld

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am having difficulty with my kitten eating my older cat's food. She is hardly getting any food because the kitten eats it all!
I even tried moving the cat's food to on top of the fridge, but the kitten has figured out how to get up there now. I have no where else to put it! Help!!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are we talking dry or wet?? If we are talking dry, then I would mix the kitten and cat food together and leave it out for free feeding. If it is wet food, then you may need to feed them in sperate rooms. When it is time for the older cat to eat, put the kitten in a seperate room. If the kitten is eating more than her weight in gold, you may want to check with the vet. worms are very common in kittens.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through this too. I couldn't leave kitten food for the kitten because the older cat would eat it, and he certainly didn't need the added fat! The kitten (all of 1.9 pounds at the time) ate the adult cat food, and wouldn't touch the kitten food. I solved the problem by leaving the dry adult food out as usual, but I fed the kitten canned kitten food twice a day under supervision. Joey made up to 9 pounds, which is where I think he'll stay, because now I am using "light" formula for Squirt.