Kitten drinking a lot more after spay?

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello. Just wondering if this can be a normal side effect after spay? Winnie was spayed on Monday and it went well. She was the first one of the day so got to spend a lot of her recovery under dr supervision (10am-4:30pm). She was a little wobbly once home but immediately wanted food, and shortly after had a poo. It’s been difficult to keep her inactive but i’m doing my best! Her incision looks well.

I also have a pain med to administer 1x a day but I cannot recall the name right now! It came in syringes to squirt into her mouth (such fun), and it’s very dark brown and sticky. I’m typing this from bed and I don’t want to disturb her so I apologize for not having the name right now.

Anyway, she’s nearly acting normal but not 100% on her activity level for instance she usually goes nuts when i make the bed and she’s just watched me instead. She’s eating normally. She’s peeing a lot but no poo since the one when she came home. The big difference is the water consumption. Before I hardly ever saw her drink water, and i’ve caught her drinking several times a day. I’m not sure if it’s something I should worry about?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It could be from the physical/mental stress if it all or possibly the med is making her thirstier. You could touch base with your vet about it, and observe how she does over the next few days :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. Check the medication to see if thirst is a side effect. Definitelyi mentionit to the Vet, even if it is a listed side effect. And mentioned she hasn't gone potty #2 since Monday also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m pleased to announce she just pooped. LOL. i gave her about a tablespoon of pumpkin earlier mixed with some tuna juice. Maybe that helped loosen things up. I called the vets but they never returned my call. :( I will try again tomorrow. Although, the drinking has slowed way down tonight so maybe i’m just being paranoid.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe she's just one smart kitten and knows that water helps with constipation :dunno:a/ I don't know, but am glad that a) she pooped :cheerleader:, and b) she's not drinking so much to worry you.

did the Vet ever call you back ?

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you know if she was intubated during her surgery? I had surgery last year and the nurse was telling me that my throat might hurt and be scratchy afterward, the intubation can bother your throat. So if she was, it could just be a little irritated from that.