Kitten doesn't like eating wet food because it slides away from her?

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So over the past few days I've been watching my kitten eat, as I don't feel like she is eating enough calories for a kitten her age (4mo, 4.6lb). Some days she will eat less than 200 calories. It's a constant offer food, take it up, all day thing. She will often eat less than 1oz at a time.

Watching her eat, I noticed she licks a lot - but she also tries to take mouthfuls. A lot of times, the little piece of pate she wanted will roll / get pushed away. This happens again and again, and I think she gets annoyed and just runs off to go play instead of eat. Yesterday and today, when this happened, I got on the floor and called her back and I put little pieces on a cardboard toy, and she ate them up. As soon as one rolled away from her, she lost interest again. But during these feeding sessions, I've gotten her to eat more in a sitting then before (2oz last night was a record, 1oz today).

I've tried gravy foods, and making her food slurried with enough water that it is lapable, but she doesn't want to sit there and lick gravy. I also tried just putting the food on the plate, whole, so it's solid in the cans shape and that sort of helped but she doesn't seem to like taking bites off of it for whatever reason.

She just doesn't want the "pate cubes" to roll away from her.

Any advice on what I can feed her on that is sanitary? I currently have ceramic saucers, which are very slippery.

This seems very weird, but the fact that I can get her to eat when her food stays still and nothing else seems wrong with anything leads me to believe this is a big part of her problem..

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think one of my cats eats in a similar way. Often recommended plates don't work for him, he needs a bowl that keeps the food together, it needs to be rounded at the bottom, because if not, he just pushes the food to the "corner" of the bowl and is unable to reach there. That's the model that works well for him:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004PHSFGK/?tag=

This is from German Amazon so this is just to show you what worked for us, I'd try finding something similar.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try a different bowl to keep the bits from being pushed away. Elevating the bowl may help. You don't need a fancy elevated bowl or feeder. Just place the bowl on top of a small upside down box.

It may take some kittens to learn how to eat properly. My previous cat sucked on canned food for the longest time as a kitten until he finally figured it out.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually you figure about a pound per month of age so your girl is about the right weight. For my adult cat I use a small shallow bowl and break her pate up into smaller pieces. For a kitten another alternative is to thin a pate with water so they can lap it up.