Kitten doesn't know when he's finished using his litterbox?

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I adopted a 3mo old kitten about 1 1/2 weeks ago. He has had consistent trouble using the litterbox. He will pee on our bed or on me or my boyfriend, never in the litterbox. When he poops, he will scratch on his tray, begin to poop, and then walk off before he's finished. He will go in his litterbox just to scratch around so I'm having a hard time believing that he just doesn't like the placement of it/the litter if he's comfortable enough to enter. I have one litterbox set up in our bathroom and the other one in our bedroom next to our bed. We took him to the vet on monday and the vet said he was fine except for having worms. Is the worms the reason he isn't going in his litterbox? Please help any advice is appreciated. (ps he is not neutered)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Welcome to TCS. Congrats on the new kitten! Glad to see he's been to the vet, as that was going to be my first question. I can't say for sure, but I suspect the worms could definitely have something to do with his confusion using the litter box to poop. Hopefully once they're gone, things will improve.

Peeing on the bed isn't good though, but not completely unusual. Make sure you clean the bedding with a enzyme cleaned to ensure his urine scent is completely gone.

About not using the litter box, there's Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract™ Cat Litter - the litter cats love™ that might help.

Also, TCS has this article on How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box – TheCatSite Articles which might have some tips for you.

And about cleaning the bedding, there's How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck. Hope he starts using the litter box regularly soon.