Kitten doesn't know what a litter box is

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday we just got our fourth kitty. A little 8 week old farm kitten. I guess I've been spoiled before with how quickly my past kittens took to the litter box because this boy just isn't getting it. I tried setting him in there, I scratched/moved the litter around. He had an accident and I put the poop in the box and showed him gently where it was. I'm wondering if I should get some Kitten Attract litter or do you think I'd be better off getting some soil since that mimics the outdoors more? What do you guys think?

siamese mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have in the house? He may prefer to start in one dedicated just his own...

Is the litterbox too tall for his little legs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, right now he is seperated from the others in my bedroom. the box is the lowest i could find but still kinda tall for him so i stacked a book onto a phone book so he has "steps". i also did a makeshift litter box out of a little cardboard box and he's not interested in that too much either.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A six week old kitten is way to young to be away from mom!  It is hard for a kitten that young to learn things without mom and litter mates to help out.  I would keep him in a smaller room such as a bathroom until he gets the litter box idea.  I foster kittens and use cardboard canned food tops for litter boxes so they can get in easily.  When you move him to a larger room have several litter boxes around so he can find them easily.  Putting the poop in the box is great but soaking a cotton ball with his urine and putting in the box may help as well.  Using a litter box is pretty instinctive but mom does supervise and watching others does help.

Please do not use dirt.  Plus I think Cat Attract is clumping and not made for babies.  Kitten Attract is made but I have never seen it in the store.  Try plain clay and especially Unscented.  Cats sense of smell is at least 10 times better than ours and all that perfume can drive them away.  Also some cats like covered but most do not.  Makes them feel trapped and unable to see danger coming.

Good luck,

sreese5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I have new kittens I use a foil baking pan with low sides - works great. That's most likely your problem - too tall for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone. I ended up picking up some Cat Attract at the store and it seems to have worked. Yay!